Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Regulator prob

dentwizz

A friend has an Economy Jim Dandy and it has a delco start-gen which we are trying to install fresh. The regulator is the little square 2 relay type mounted on the gen itself, push button starter(no solenoid). The problem is when I wire it as best I can figure, it overloads the wiring(melting insulation). All terminals test at 0 resistance to ground when off. The s/g starts the engine fine when all the other wiring is disconnected. All of my experience is with the three-relay regulators, not the two. What is the difference that I am missing?

you might be trying to small of wire I had the same thing one day when some one asked me to look at there tractor. It fixed the problem. and he mixed a wire as well thank god he stopped and called me to bring a book and help him before he melted it down. Dose any one here have a wire diagram of the regulator with the 2 relay type? I don't but could look in one of my old books for you. that is if no one beats me to it. have a great day

As best I can figure, comparing what I have for regulators, the newer one is not propper for the setup. The older delco 2-relay is made with a concentric 2-part relay and a normal relay. The newer one which we tried to wire in is 2 normal relays. It would seem that this would require a supplemental diode or such. What size wire and fuse would you reccomend for this system?

Use the wiring diagram for a Simplicity 700, 725, or AC B-1. Regulator must be for a lawn tractor or similar with a maximum output of 13 to 15 amps. Thus, a 20 amp fuse is more than sufficient and what most of the S/G tractors specify/use. Shouldn't matter whether you use a 2 or 3 relay regulator provided it is wired correctly. On the 2 relay regulator the generator/armature output goes to the terminal on the bottom of the regulator. The LH "L" terminal is for the lights. The Field and Battery terminals are marked as "F" and "B". Might be wrong but think the 3 relay regulators do not have the bottom terminal and the terminals should be labeled as "B", "F", and "A" or "G" for armature or generator. Without looking at a tractor think #12 wire should be fine for the armature output and from the battery to the regulator. The field wire can be smaller; maybe #14 or #16. If you are melting wires, and the wiring is correct, something is shorted to ground. Those with more knowledge on the subject may want to post corrections and/or better information.

That answers a lot. The L terminal and the underside were somewhat uncertain. I had assumed the bottom was a ground strap :O. So, since the unit has no headlights, you are saying the L terminal would then be left empty? Thank you for the details.