Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cost of rebuilding BGB 1966 B10

daninghram

What would the cost be to rebuild a BGB if all the wearable parts were replaced? anyone done one? are all the parts still available? I saw there are threads about doing a rebuild but did look to seee how tuff this would be. Thanks

The beveled gears are pricey,the bearing are reasonable. If the gears aren't chipped or worn badly I wouldn't worry about replacing them. The needle bearing in the front I replace when ever I take the box loose from the tractor. It's cheap and easy to replace. The other bearings are running in gear oil and unless it's been run low on oil they usually last for ever. When you assemble the tractor make sure the yoke on the front is good and tight,if they come loose they can beat a gear box to death.

I rebuilt one with all new parts 2 years ago. Cost was $360.00 and that was with a 20% discount. They are easy to rebuild and all the parts are available.

Dan - I priced out what I felt I needed to re-do the BGB on my Big Ten. I plugged part numbers from the diagram into Jackssmallengines.com. Everything is still available including the gears and shafts, but they are expensive. I assumed, as Jim stated, that the gears were still ok. I also assumed that a bad front needle bearing has messed up the driving shaft (not the driven cross shaft). Including the shaft, two ball bearings, two needle bearings, seals, shims, and new gasket, the total came to about $114.00. If the shaft is good, it would be only about $55.00, as the shaft was the most expensive parts. I intend to pull mine apart in the next couple of weeks and enjoy the experience of rebuilding my first BGB sm01 Glen

Last I checked, if you needed everything, it would be about $220.00 to $225.00....about the same as we get for used gearboxes up at work.

I will probably get a good used one and try to rebuild the one I take out. I have plenty of tractors to but good parts in.

quote:
Originally posted by Cvans
I have a used bevel gear box listed in the classifieds. If interested contact me. Thanks, Chris cmvans@yahoo.com
I saw that I was not sure if it would be the same as it is for 3414s Is it the same?

Hi Dan: I'm not sure myself. This is the first one of these I have taken apart. My 6500 is belt drive. Maybe someone with more Simple smarts than me can answer that.