Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How do you get this apart?

huskerdually

Trying to get the lift lever assembly out of the frame on my 917 allis. Can't get the little arms off the ends, and yes I did remove the set screws. Do I need to use a puller? I tried a lh, didn't want to break out the bh. [IMG]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l37/jdshafer/tractorframe.jpg[/IMG]

Hi, I don't own a 917, but I would probably soak with PB blaster for a while, then try to put a big wrench on each one and twist against each other, one should let loose this way. Heat works good too, but hard on the paint job. Hope this helps. Steve

Thanks. Their keyed so you can't twist them. I figured a puller, just wanted a second opinion, don't know if I got one that will work. Not to worried about the paint, going to do a full resto on it.

Soak with PB Blaster, repeat with heat if possible, then sometimes I wack the part onto the shaft a little further to break it loose. Then use a two jaw puller. Depending on how tight the inside collars are, and where they are located, if you put spacers between the short lift arms you are trying to remove and the frame, you can use a drift punch just on the shaft end also.

I Have a 912 and 914 . Best way is to soak with Blaster and use 2 prong puller. Increase pressure on puller ,tap with hammer and it will probaly break loose. If not keep tighten pressure and resoak . It will come off.

There is a collar inside the frame with a set screw holding it. #19 in the picture. Loosen the set screw on this collar. There is a collar only on one side. The shaft can be driven inward out of the arm using a drift on the end of the shaft and smacking with a hammer. Drive the shaft out of both arms. Remove the bolts holding the bearings, push the shaft all the way to one side, drop the end down then pull the shaft out of the other hole. You may need to get under the tractor and look at the shaft to see which side has the most clearance and you will see how to slide it to take it out.

I assumed he was further along on disassmbly. The inside collar has to be loosen and moved to the inside to let the shaft move out enought to get a puller on the behind the lift leaver assembly

Ya I got the collar off. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track, or maybe there was a trick to it. I don't have to crawl under the tractor since it is disassembled to just the frame.

The trick is lots'a heat, 2 pound hammer, 5/8" drift punch, careful aiming and smacking the the punch smartly. :D:D I disassembled a B-110 last week for the same parts and heated the parts with my trusty ole plumbers gasoline fueled blow torch. And as hot as the parts got, they still squealed as they come apart.