Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rummage sale at Port Washington

BLT

Erik (Simpleton7016) called me this AM and said there was a rummage sale of sorts at the old Simplicity plant today, so he chauffeured me to see what we might stumble across. Well once inside it was two sorts of pickings, ultra slim and very close to nothing. The last of the plants assets were gathered in a small area where the mower decks were once stamped out. The assets were decks, file drawers, stuff that couldn't be identified from the maintenance department and so on. As a token gesture, I bought three brooms for $.50 ea and I think Erick bought $5.00 worth of 1" bar stock. It was clear that the tractor buzzards were there long before us. It was sad to see a building like that dark and empty, not the be hive of activity like Kent, Eli and myself saw almost five years ago, http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=34515 but I guess life moves on. The old corporate office on Spring Street is now awaiting a new owner.
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/SpringSreet.jpg[/img]

I have been an owner of simplicity and A-C tractors since 1964. It is sad all too often today to see a great company be sold or bought and the product line cease to be as great as it once was. I have 7 tractors (4) restored a 64LL,3212H,7112,64B10 and (2) 3314V and 3310V that are originals that have been maintained with great care. Last year I got a#7 a fixer-upper 3310H. Once you get one its hard to stop buying quality.

I find great irony in these first two pics. The second two are what was left. :(
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/deceased1.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/deceased2.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/remnants1.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/remnants2.jpg[/img]

Thanks Briggs! Just remember though - if you don't buy American when you can, what will be the next empty building you are driving past? Support your local businesses and companies that do the best they can for and within America. Tim

Heck, briggs said that the plant will stay as is and not shut it down. Even briggs is not american anymore. We need to toughen up on companies moving production out of state...and abolish nafta. The job you save may be your own!C

"Heck, briggs said that the plant will stay as is and not shut it down." When a company says something like the above, that is your first clue regarding what will happen shortly in the future. Seen it too many times.

Well, the workers in the plant should do what Harley did and buy the name and mfg. rights, with the right backing they might surpass Harley sales. JMO

I hate to say it, we live in a throwaway society. Most quality products can no longer compete. People think why buy a 6k lawnmower when the 850 one will run for 5 years and I can buy another. This is the reason some of you guys end up with free "junk" tractors. Heck, a lot of guys can not change oil let alone tinker with a tractor. Those times are a changing. Theres gold in your garage!!!:D:D:D

I have an original Simplicity 1969 Tractor Price List brochure which lists all of the Landlord, Sovereign, Broadmoor, Yeoman, and Serf tractor/attachment prices. It is fitting to note on this thread; that on the back page is a solitary bold highlighted and boxed outline with the following statement: THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY REMAINS AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN Kent, if you would like this original doc to copy/scan and post on the website, let me know; quality of it I'd say is on a 9 out of 10 scale. TOM (PK)

"THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY REMAINS AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN" A well spoken saying, I really like that. jh. jh