Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3416h

atractorkid7

hi, im jace and i bought a 3416h last fall, since then i have nearly restored my tractor BUT!! the motor on it ,16 hp briggs & stratton , is a money pit. i have spent well over $800 on the motor alone.most of the money went towards new rings, seals carb insides coil...the list goes on. the starter is suposed to be a belt type that goes to the flywheel so i ordered one and i got a gear starter..i didnt really know why but i didnt return it, and i went ahed and put it on. it only lasted about 15 starts and the gear was shot, so i got another starter gear, it only lasted 8 starts! my neighbour has two of the starter-generators so i might get one off of him. also the throttle is hooked up but when i raise it up nothing happens? the motor also has to run with the choke on, and i dont have a oil dipstic so i have no idea how much oil to put in. any replies would be greatly apreciated, thanks!

Welcome to the club Jace. :D I'll start with the last problem first. I will measure my dip stick tonight and let you know how long it is and where the add and full marks are. It sounds like you have the linkage for the throttle installed wrong, I will see if I can get a picture of what mine looks like for you to check it. If yours has a geared flywheel on it, it (or the engine) must have been changed, but if it is eating starter gears like that I think there must be an alignment issue. note: if the engine has been changed my dip stick info will be wrong for your engine. George ps. Once you get the engine running right you will be pleased with the power and torque they have, and how little you have to do to them.

i belive my tractor is made n 1973 but my motor is not the original colour (black) instead it is red, i think it is a replacement. ps, im from youtube.com, mytractorforum.com, and onlycubcadets.com

If it's not the original engine, all bets are off, as to what starter it needs. Post the engine numbers, and someone can tell you if you have the right starter.

i cant remember what they are anymore, right now im at my moms and i am at my dads house every weekend (thats where my tractor is)i can check next saturday.