Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is this dude worth saving?

AC_B-1Novice

When I got my B-1 I also received this (according to one site) landlord 9hp elec start. The number on it is 990314. I was told it ran but smoked some and that the guy had taken parts off of it to put on my B-1 such as the S/G and carb. There are extra parts on the seat that came with it and the S/G is on the deck in the pictures. I was just wondering if I should try to restore it as well and how it compares to the B-1. All you guys with the years of experience please unload on this subject for me. larry

Larry, Compared to a couple of restorations that I have done, that LL would be a piece of cake. Other than the seat, it looks to be a rust free, original tractor. Go for it. Jim

It is a lot cleaner than the B-1 is and now that it is mentioned I didn't see any rust. However, I know zilch about engines and the carb is off and looks like it is in pieces. I have no manuals on it at all. Do you all think a real novice on this sort of thing can take it on without it being too much. If I had to get someone else to get the engine running do you still think it would be worth it? One more thing, where can I get some information on this tractor so I know its capabilities and maybe even the year? thanks

I would go for the restoration you have a fine looking Landlord on your hands and it would be a shame to part that beauty out. Here is the link to the owners manual. http://www.simplicitymfg.com/manuals/index.cfm?rd=1

It looks very clean and I don't know how many "Landlords" with the black dash I have seen restored or even running. I definitly say Yes!

WOW you guys make me feel like I really do have a machine to restore. I didn't even know there was a difference between one with a black dash or some other color. Great information here. larry

No, not worth restoring, just set it out by the road so I can pick it up....;) Seriously, looks like a nice machine. If nothing else, you can always repower it with a newer Briggs, while you check out the original engine.

I just went to the link for the manuals and noticed that the 314 manual picture for the engine shows a regulator on the engine. Mine as you can see in picture one and two has a solenoid and the manual shows that for a 496,497,568,569 mfg number. Perhaps someone changed the engine??? What is your opinion of that?

Definitely a keeper! Put it back together and it will probably turn out to be one of your hardest working tractors.

A keeper for sure. My '64 Landlord is in tight rival with the 725 for favorite to use. Engine looks like a model 23D to me, I can see the ID plate on the front of the air shroud. looks like someone added a coil on top the engine where the reg should be. Just remember, most anything on these SIMPLE old tractors is easy to fix, even if it drives you nuts finding the problem for a spell.

MPH you got my attention with the engine plate so I had to go out to the barn and check it out. You are correct it is a 23D. The numbers are 23D 0129 01 16851. Can you direct me to an engine manual online? Do you know what hp this engine is and are parts readily available? larry

Larry, everyone here was a "novice" untill they pulled that first carb, or cracked an engine open. That is a very clean Landlord, and should be a good "first" machine to get your hands dirty with. Any snags, these guys will help...

Larry, your model 23D is 9hp. I understand you can go on the Briggs site and get get manuals for these old engines yet, haven't tried because I have an OLD briggs repair manual. Parts are getting harder to find for the 19 and 23 series engines.

Larry, I would definately keep that tractor and bring it back to life. I have one just like it, all restored. jack's small engines is a good parts source for the briggs engines. The original electrical set-up on that tractor had a 3-coil voltage regulator mounted on the housing between the motor and fuel tank. You will see the 3 holes. There was no external coil. I will send you a pdf file of the illistrated parts list for the 23D motor. Good luck..

I really want to thank ALL of you for your interest in keeping these old tractors alive and for being so helpful to those of us that know nothing about them but love the old things. I think I’m going to enjoy reviving these two but without your help I could never do it. I wish there was some sort of club here in Wayne County Ohio where people could meet now and then to keep up the interest. Thanks again and I’ll look for that PDF file on the 23D motor. larry

I'm with the group that says to change the fluids, clean the carb, get it back together, grease it up and get it running first. You may decide on a restoration down the line but if it was in my garage, it would be cutting grass this summer if I could get the engine will start. That will get you familiar with the tractor and any issue that may exist. Take care. e-rancher