Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What is this thing?

MarksA-C

This is on a 16hp Briggs that I got to repalce the bad one in my 7016 (Needed a good block). What is it? Its like a spark plug spacer, moves it further way from the combustion chamber??

Try this. Makes sense. http://ytforums.ytmag.com/ttforum/viewtopic.php?p=2169644&highlight=&sid=10ed75780713fb2dc6911e131a0570e6

Those things work good. They are used for striped threads but they need to be deeper. I have a set on my standard twin tractor.A friend put them in when he worked on it. Don't know where to get them.

I have seen these sold for cars for anti-fouling. If an engine burned oil you would install these to move the plug out of the combustion chamber to keep it from fouling up so quick. I have never seen one like this advertised to repair a plug hole but we all live to learn:)

yep, i have seen and have a few of them in heads. i have heard for a stripped head, just retap and use a larger plug from a wisconsin engine.

Another thing we used to do on old car engines, tractors and such, as well, was to put a button inline at the end of the plug, and allow the spark to 'jump' across the space between the holes in the buttons. That kept a plug from fouling as quickly, and if you opened the hood and saw buttons, you knew there was a valve problem there.