Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Time1992

Compairing Paint brands

Time1992
Ok like I said in an earlier post I have been using the Majic paint from Agri Supply on my 4041 restore and I decided to try the Tractor Supply (tractor and implement paint) on my wheels and hood cause I could buy it local ( they just opened a store and I love it ). Well Im not much of a painter but this is what I found. The Majic went on much thicker, no runs when appling light coats, stayed tacky longer so I could recoat several times and get a good thick coat, dries overnight to touch but I think it will take some time to really dry good and harden. Bottom line easy to use if you have time and a place to let it dry without bugs etc. Cover everthing in sight or you will find overspray in places you never imagined, it looks like jet swirls when you spray, Great shine and a very thick look which I like. OH AND BEFORE I FORGET ALWAYS USE A GOOD RESPERATOR not a cheap mask , SAVE YOUR LUNGS FOR ANOTHER DAY !!!!!!!!!!!!! TSC paint ( Valspar ) Went on much thinner and runs easy until you get the hang of it, drys quick ( 1 hour ) recoating was easy but watch it because its thin and will run on you, good color but when dry it has the thinner look and a softer shine ( I like the deeper look ) can be used in colder conditions. Overspray not bad compared to Majic. I dont know if this helps anyone but its my 2 cents and I really dont know what Im talking about or how these will hold up outside. So there ya go for what its worth. Goodluck. Tim

xenon172
Valspar is a good paint and I have used it to paint small pieces prior to assembly and inaccessible areas that you can't get into easily with a gun. To the best of my knowledge they make the paint for John Deere. The quarts also work good in HVLP guns and since you can use hardener the shine is a little better.

dhardin
Majic is good paint, But I prefer Van Sickle. Our Farm supply (Big R)carries both paints. Always use the hardener they make for there paint, It really makes the paint last longer under rough conditions and well worth the extra it cost. Plus use less thinner when spraying than the directions call for. I thin just enough to get the paint to flow through the gun as needrd no more. I never have runs plus the paint lays flat and shines great if you get a good wet coat when applying. I just finisher painting my skid steer took 3 quarts.

gregnorth
hey tim, i'm not much of a painter but i can relate to the having to cover every thing to protect it from overspray. my solution was to make a paint booth in my pole barn. when not in use it only takes up 2'x1'of floor space and when in use is approx. 12'x 20'. only 5 minutes to open or close. best of all i built it myself with easy to get items and the whole thing only cost my about $100 and it works pretty slick. now all i need is a fan in the ceiling to suck the fumes into attic and out the vented ridge. if you want any info on it let me know. later, greg.