Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another oil question

Jac

I have a few gallon of Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic oil I would like to put in the tractors 8, 14, and 16 hp B&S neither use any oil. My question is that I usually use 30 weight hd as recommended by Briggs for the summer. Would the lighter synthetic cause them to use some oil this summer. Thanks

Good question! I think I would like to use synthetic year round, but I am not sure it is a good idea. Really looking forward to the replies to your question. IronPony

[img]/club2/attach/RayS/oil.jpg[/img]
Here are the recommendations of what to use from the operators manual for the 10hp (243431) and the 16hp (326431). I use synthetic year round. I check it more often and haven`t had any problems. Not sure if I would use the 5W-30 though in the summer.

I have heard stories both good and bad about using synthetic oils in the older engines and I am not sure which ones are right and which ones are wrong. To be safe I use whatever the manual or manufacturer recommends

Seems like the synthetics should be marked with the SE, SF, SG and if they are then they would meet the manufacture's recommendation for oil. What do you guys and gals think?? Dan

I run several models of Briggs engines, from cast iron to aluminum. Later model engines use multiweight oil. Some of the reason (an assumption) I am almost certain, that there were no really good multiviscosity oils on the market when the engines came from the factory. There are now, and have been for several years. I use 30 or 40 wt oil in all my cast iron engines, depending on the season. Here in the sunny south, we do not have the weather you folks in the frozen north have. My later model I/C engines all list 10w-40 as the proper oil for lubrication purposes. On occasion, when I do not have straight 30 or 40 wt oil around, I will use multiweight in the cast iron, and in many years of running them, have had no problems. Keeping the oil at a proper level is far more important, I think, than whether you use single or multi, conventional or synthetic. I was told that my Harley would run cooler and more efficiently with synthetic, so I changed to synthetic, rather than the 50 wt Valvoline I have used for years. I can tell no difference in performance or heat. I have not put a gauge on the side of the block to find a temp difference, and do not plan to do so, as it is immaterial. What I have found over the years, is the use of heavier wt, such as 40 or 50, decreases consumption on engines that use oil. I would not use such in winter, even here in the sunny south.

[img]/club2/attach/RayS/oil.jpg[/img]
I got this from a operators manual for a 7016H. It states that you can use 10W-30 above 40 degrees in the Briggs.

I use either Castrol Syntec 10w30 or Opti-oil 10-30 synthetic in all my engines year round with no problems. You do have to keep an eye on the level as synthetic oil tends to find weak seals and gaskets and will leak more than normal oils.