Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Terra Tiger(s)

Simpleton7016

I am going to start watching for an AC built Terra Tiger close to home. I would like to pick y'alls brains....or at least those of you whom have owned one (the terra tiger, not the brain:p). My boys are getting closer to the age that they might be able to drive one. We have a cottage on a river, so I think that I good amphibious vehicle might be warranted. I would like opinions on how they perform in water and how sea worthy they really are. I have read that they do not climb out of just any old embankment. Rather, it must be a sandy beach of some sort. I have also read that tires are nearly impossible to find. Are there replacement tires in another brand that work? What are the achilles heal of these units and what should I be watching for as I search? I imagine a cracked fiberglass hull is the obvious red flag....but where else were they prone to leak? I read somewhere that they are powered with snowmobile engines, but elsewhere I read a single cylinder Briggs. Which is it? How many of you have had them or know someone that had one? Have any of you ever tipped one over....if so, my wife will veto the idea before it ever gets off the ground. Opinions and expertise are what I am looking for if anyone has either.;) Likewise, if there is a similar, amphibious non-AC alternative that y'all have used or have knowledge of, I would appreciate your input as well.

St Croix outdoors in Wisconsin has one for sale on their buletin board I have experience with an 8 wheel argo , they are a blast!

I used a 6 wheel version while working for a cross country rental place. We were very hard on it, but never had any trouble. The only problem we had was it would tear up the grass if you turned too sharp. (The cross country rental place was located on a golf course so tearing up the grass was a no no). We never came close to rolling it over. Rick.......

I don't have a lot experience with it yet, but I own one. I do know they are very fast! I think they go 35-40 mph which in my opinion can be dangerous for a young boy alone. They don't roll over easily but can turn so fast that a passenger can fly out easily. I almost did this accidentally to my brother-in-law. There more designed for marshes and not open water. The tire tread is the only part that propels the vehicle and it can get over powered by water current. They are powered by a single cylinder 2 cycle with a cone clutch, very similar to a snowmobile. The tires can be replaced with newer rimmed style ones by using adapters. The weak part of these seems to be the shear pins for the wheels. After the holes get worn the roll pins shear abnormally quickly. The hull on these are tough. Hope this helps some. I have seen a few other slower 6 wheelers with 4 cycle motors in them. Check out route6x6.com for more information. Dan

Hi Erik, try checking out route6x6.com, they have machines for sale all over the country and information you will find useful. Todd

I have one with the original JLO 2 stroke and yes it is fast,they can roll over,it is water tight but very slow and hard to turn in the water.These were not meant for any kind of real current.I'm thinkin you might want something a little slower for youth drivers. I bought mine on ebay, the guy was selling it because he thought it would be fun with his kids, scared the guy good, once he got it going, listed it and now I have that pleasure:D.

Hi, I had one, all of the above are correct. Mine had the JLO Rockwell engine which was a very common snowmobile engine in the late 70s. They are very fast on land, and will instantly turn around (even at full speed) and young people could be thrown out. Mine constantly sheared the roll pins in the axles, not that I contributed to the failures at all. Mine would go faster in the water at less than full throttle, than at full throttle. You are correct they need like a sand or mud bar to come out of the water. If there is very much slope on the bank, the wheels don't have enough push for the front wheels to climb up the bank. They go very well in mud and muck, however if you do get one stuck, it is a serious problem, because it lays on the belly and when you get out to push usually your feet and legs just go down in the muck. If you are alone you can't lift or push and run the throttle to get the wheels to help. Also the body is smooth and you have a hard time to get ahold of anything to lift and push on. They are a blast though, they take some maintenance if you really throw them around. I would suspect that if you buy it the engine parts would probably be easiest to find at Central Snowmobile parts. Al Eden

They are a blast in the snow We had one back in the day worked real good in snow but if you think of spinning around on ICE pond or the like put your drain plugs in before you play. Dad near sank it. And if slope on the hill is too steep you may have to push or pull it up. Dad put me in it to throttle it and pushed he ended up looking a lot like the abomitable snowman covered head to foot I was seven.

Thanks for all the excellent info guys....sounds like a daddy toy for the time being. Though I would probably take a full year to restore it and make sure it is up to snuff. The river in question is pretty slow moving with LOTS of backwater and swamp (the Lemonweir in Mauston, WI if anyone is familiar with the area). The warning about getting stck in mud is dually noted. Sound like I will need to purchase walkie talkies to go along with the eventual purchase. I think I will take my time on this purchase, though me thinks a pilgrimage out to Dan's place is still warranted. Tune that puppy up Dan...let's take her for a spin! PS, I saw some youtube videos of Terra Tigers in action - if my wife ever sees those videos, my proposed purchase will be vetoed in an instant with no chance for a congressional override!

I've been hoovering on this site for a few years! Finally joined today! We use to sell them and Allis Chalmers and Simplicity and even sold a few Homelites! I grew up on B-12,HB112 and HB212's and of coarse the Terra Tigers! They are a blast when running!sm01 And a pain when there not.:( We own 5 of them at this time. And are always looking for more! We still need the very 1st one made by Feldmann & AC it was red and white and also hunting for an all yellow one! 3rd one made. Terra Tigers are a good machine but they do require a regular maintenance to drive chains, especially front ones on jack-shafts! And Original JLO motors can be fussy at times. If you have any questions, need information or parts for one let us know. We're in process of having some items made - reproduced for them and have belts, brgs and other items in stock for them. Your biggest expense will be 6 new adapters,wheels and tires for it! If you get one without them. We only have originals on for show! And 2 we play with have new wheels and tires on them! I ran them when I was 11-12 and my brothers were younger and ran them also. So as for your boys running them I don't see huge problem? no different then allowing them to ride dirt bike or 4 wheelers! We all do things were not suppose too!:D We had a blast with them. I bent my share of axles and went through quite a few tires on them. 1st and 2nd production tires were bad! Last ones didn't do bad on them! And I soon learned how to work on them^ Sorry for the long post! Jeff

Picture of one our TT10's serial number 1024,we're totaly restoring this machine now. We also have a TT10 2888 that I sold new to a customer and we got back a long time ago. It need redone as well. I guess we can only post one picture at a time? Tried to post one of our TT18 also we just got with 5888 serial number. TT18's started in production with 5001 and up.

sweet! What is the primary differences between the various models? And did some designs function better in different terrains than others?

Brief history of Terra Tigers. Feldmann Engineering in WI. designed it and sold a few.before selling it too Allis Chalmers. They were red and white in color and had JLO 252 10 HP. 2 cycle engines in them. I'm still trying to find out numbers produced by Feldmann! 2ND version or 1st all AC one was like pictured above. No opening in top of it. This made it very hard to do maintenance and work on it!Another problem was rear fuel tank design. It was mounted to rear of machine. They developed cracks and leaked! Replacement was made out different material and mounted to floor in rear. At serial number 1051 the body design was changed,put opening put in top to allow you to do maintenance and work on it easier! These were all yellow and had stripe on hood panel! At serial number 2001 and up the body was changed in rear as fuel tank isn't mounted there! and thicken up in areas and now had green top with gray bottoms! At serial number 2176 and up had louvered hood scoops. However our TT10 has metal one louver scoop and its serial number is 2888 ?? from 1051 to 2900's had numerous updates done to them. Jack-shafts, clutches, front chain tighteners, fuel tanks center axle brg shims and improved tires! At serial number 5001 and up. TT18 was available it used JLO 295 and 297's 18 HP. motor with Electric start! And man it would run! Day and night difference from the 10 HP ones!sm01 It has had improvements to axles with keyed sprockets in place of pins! frame stiffer supports added to each axle location! 10 hp model was slowly fazed out and just 18 HP. ones were made. One thing lacking in them was NO REVERSE! And this didn't help sales of them! Check out Route 6X6 web site for tons of ATV History and information. And they have a lot of parts for them as well! Any if you have question or need something for them email or call. Jeff

Never knew you guys sold Allis Chalmers.I have seen you guys in Greenville,Ohio at our toy show for as long as i can remember.Glad to know there are other old dealers out there.Would like to talk tractors with you sometime.

Yes,there are quite a few variations of Terra Tigers. Dad started selling Allis Chalmers in 1955 and continued up to 1972. Then we switched to Massey and later 74 added Kubota and 80's Sold Deutz DX series for a while. Today we just sell Steiners and Kawasaki Mules and RTVs. And we manufacturer and custom build 1/64 scale farm toys. Also getting into restoring Terra Tigers for Others! We have a bunch of AC garden tractors to get restored! If any of you run across red and white or yellow Terra tiger for sale let us know! Will pay finders fee if we get it brought! Also hunting for a Terra Tiger trailer! And as a lot of you are hunting,we're also needing an HB112! sm01 We are hoping to get a web site up for Terra Tigers sometime this year! Be glad to talk tractor sometime Chad!
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
The eagles have landed....and so has wifey's wrath. Gotta go.
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/TerraTiger1.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/TerraTiger2.jpg[/img]

well, she was angry for the better part of the day.ngr2 But something happened last night that hasn't happened in 4 months. dOd I think I should buy more "big ticket" items. :D I will never figure her out.....ever!

Don't fall for it! Its a trap! You will come home to a new car and several coach purses, bente skim carmel machiados, french perfume and God knows what else!!!:D:D:D