Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
DamonC

B10 voltage regulator

DamonC
I'd like to know a manufacturer and part number for the voltage regulator on an AC B-10. The regulator on my B-10 has no manufacturer or part number markings anywhere (inside or outside). At this moment, while I'm working on restoration of my B-10, the voltage regulator is off the tractor. I'd also like to know how I can test this old regulator to see if it's still working. Thank you for any assistance.

nateb17010
any older ford, chevy, AMC or dodge, will work form a parts store and cheaper then the tractor place. we bought one a few years back and it had a Agco box, $20.00 mark up, "for the box I would guess" and directions for a ford, chevy, AMC or dodge 12 v gen/reg "not for a tractor". so now I just go down to the parts store and ask for a '62 amc rambler classic 6 cyl regulator. that is what I have replaced some of mine with already. if not sure of take your old one in the parts store and ask for some thing close. "$65.99 from Agco $35.99 advance auto" have not checked for a few years tho. good luck just looked it up for you they went up. Voltage Regulator BWD Voltage Regulator Part No. R181 40 Amp; Prestolite Warranty 1 YEAR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE $76.99 Voltage Regulator BWD Select Voltage Regulator Part No. R153 Premium Quality; 25 or 35 Amp; Prestolite Warranty 1 YEAR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE $39.49 Voltage Regulator BWD Select Voltage Regulator Part No. R153 Premium Quality; 25 or 35 Amp; Autolite, Ford or Motorcraft Warranty 1 YEAR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE

Chris727
Be careful, not all regulators are interchangeable, I think the garden tractor systems are 15 amp because of the sealed starter generators. Your original regulator is a 3 pole model. The briggs ones are 2 pole and require you to drill new mounting holes on the tractor. Looking at an orignal regulator the #s are 12 VN 1H, other leg I think is the model # 1119 310E. I have purchased several replacement regulators for only $30 ea. about 2 yrs ago. They look identical to factory and really finish off a restoration. The factory delco regulator is to the left.

They are made by J&N. part # 231-12026. I bought mine from DB-electrical rebuilders in Gray, TN. I had great service from them. www.dbelectrical.com The J&N regulator is also probably available locally through a starter or alternator shop.

RayS
Here is a link to the one I replaced 4 or 5 years ago. Mine is just liked the one pictured it is a 3 pole. http://cgi.ebay.com/Voltage-Regulator-Delco-1118988-for-BRIGGS-295924_W0QQitemZ170260887769QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item170260887769&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116 Chris, where is that info in the link that you provided for J&N. part # 231-12026? It just shows a index, but i can`t seem to find that part number.

JimH
Ray, I had the same problem. I ended up doing a google search and got to their main web site and just book marked it. Unfortunately there is no listing for the 3-pole regulator. may have to call them. Their # 1-800-753-2242

UCD
Caution
An automotive 30 amp voltage regulator will work and get the Battery charged but it will also burn out the generator side of the starter/generator as it will not open the charging circuit at 15 amps. It will keep calling for 30 amps which the start/gen can not supply and over heat the coils burning it self up.

nateb17010
this is the box that I received oh so many years a go. ya I went out to my mom & dads house and looked for this box and instructions. the only thing missing was the listing of cars and trucks this regulator worked in and this why I said what I did yes I looked up the wrong car "sorry" it was late and I just looked fast. also thanks UCD for finding my mistake. here's the box and the paper left in the box.