Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Let the guessing begin

acken

Hi Ken, You should be able to read the amperage on the name plate. If its from the Otis cart I think it might be, it has a 55A GE 26VDC Motor. That comes to 1980W, and after losses it will have apprx. 2HP at the shaft. This should be enough to power the tractor but probably not implements. More importantly though is if the field and armature are connected in series, pay particular care to maintain a load on the motor. Without a certain minimum load, it will accel to an unsafe speed. To be safe maybe remove neutral and clutching. Neat project. Dan

Cool project, love too see people 'think outside the box'. ---- what are the advantages of the electric motor vs the cast iron Briggs----- He won't have to pay the upcoming 'carbon tax' if he can mow his lawn with it.

Here is what they say on the Electric Vehicles of America site to justify electric power: WHY EVS? Electric Vehicles of America, Inc. recognized the importance EVs would play in the future because: World oil production will decreaseby 2010. World oil consumption is increasing as China, India, and other countries increase their demand for oil. Alternative Fuels to oil are essential. Electricity is the fuel of choice, because: Electric motors are 90% efficient; internal combustion engines are 15-20% efficient. The infrastructure exists - most homes and businesses have electricity Electricity is fuel flexible - it can be generated in so many different ways, including solar, geothermal, wind generators. EVs are Zero emission vehicles! The new permanent magnet electric motors can produce a lot more power for their size and could run a tractor quite well. No need to replace a Briggs running well, but as a repower, might make sense. I use an electric motor in my 35 year old sailboat now and am very happy with its performance, silence and no diesel/gasoline smell. It's mainly used just to get out of the harbour. A 15 watt solar panel keeps it charged between uses and if I ever run down the batteries further, shore power and a charger will be used.

I have an uncle that used to have a few of the B100/B200 Allis tractors. He always wanted to do an electric drive tractor also. His goal was to use it for tractor pulling - probably would have been best for a dead weight sled pull, not a transfer sled. He reasoned that with the electric control, tire speed could be better maintained to minimize slippage and keep things going. Some of those electric motors can have tons of torque compared to our 12hp Briggs engines. It would have been a neat experiment, but a given tractor is still limited by its weight, and the ability to transfer the power to the ground. Not to mention that momentum does help to some extent with any pulling event. Your project is very cool. Can't wait to see more. You could also look up info on the GE ElecTrac? that was built in the 1970's. Pretty sure Wheel Horse sold that same machine painted red too. Tim

Cool idea. At work I have the task of repairing electric golf carts that employee's constantly abuse. These things have great torque. They do have a lot of battery's in them. Nice project.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Ken, That looks to be a very neat project! As with all your tractor projects you do very nice work. I can't wait to see it in person.

• 1 month later...

I figured I better show some progress on the electric conversion. Anyone interested in seeing it in person is invited to the Arkansaw Show June 20th, if all goes well that will be its debut.

quote:
I like the diamond plate grill Besides the noise factor what are the advantages of the electric motor vs the cast iron Briggs. Not to say its a bad idea but I would have just kept using the old Briggs and kept it original.
lol expensive gas prices more power parts available[url]http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/?SRC=GGLPPC&gclid=CNLKpPCcgJsCFQgNDQod3lt8fA[/url] I like that type of GREEN :D

• 3 weeks later...