Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Short Frame vs. Long Frame??

mohrds

I have a '66 Landlord 2010 model 990396. I have re-engined it with a 16HP engine and I just bought a L12 Loader for it. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=103036[/url] After reading the manual I downloaded, it refers to two different mounting systems depending on if you have a 2010 or a 2012. The 2010 is referred to as a "Short Frame" and the 2012 as a "Long Frame" I thought all the 201X were the same frame. Is this not the case? Is there a spacer in the long frame units? The reason I ask is that I'm 6'4" and quite frankly, seeing pictures of me on it makes it look like I'm on a kid's toy. If I could do something to make the tractor a little longer and keep it factory themed, I'd do it. Lengthening the drive shaft, lift rods, shifter, and clutch is not a big deal to me. This may seem like a basic question to some of you, but this is the first I've heard of this difference. Doug

In the FDT's (Foot Dragger Tractor) the 700, 725, 9hp, 101, 2000, 2100 series Simplicity's and B-1, B-10 Big-10 B-12 and early B-10 3 spd series Allis Chalmers were all short frame tractors. The 2200, 3000, 3100, 3200, series Simplicity's and B-110 variable, B-112 B-212 series Allis Chalmers were long frame tractors. The long frames were 4" longer because of the variable and hydrostatic drive.

Doug, I made a spacer once that went between the BGB and the frame so that I could put one of the short plate rears into a Running Board Tractor for tractor pulling. If you want, I will try to find it and take a picture for you. I think I saw it in the garage recently. If you are not using a mower or anything that runs off the center PTO, a spacer should work.

This may be stating the obvious, but the difference in "frame length" isn't in the front "frame" but in the rear side plates that bolt to the BGB. I guess one can consider the "frame" to be the sum of the front frame, BGB, and rear side plates. The bottom line is the wheel base of the "long frame" FDTs are 4" longer than the "short frame" FDTs.

Bill's statement is the correct way of stating it. Wheel base is the correct term. I used short frame and long frame in lieu of short wheel base and long wheel base as those were the terms Doug was using. The extra 4 inches is between the BGB (Bevel Gear Box) and the center of the rear drive axle. This extra 4 inches was introduced with the use of the variable drive and hydrostatic rear drive. The 7100 series frame is 4 inches longer than the 7000 series down. The wheel base is the same. The extra 4 inches is in the front frame forward of the front axle.

Doug, I swapped transmissions from a 7000 series tractor and put it on my 700 puller project tractor to give it the longer wheelbase. You will have to make tins to cover the new space between the bgb and the frame. You would also hae to figure out the center pto (i.e. belt length, pto engagement). Here is a picture showing the comparisoon between the longer frame (foreground) and the original frame (background).

Tom

quote:
my 700 puller project tractor
puller project? I don't know that we knew about this. Looks sweet so far. Do tell more.