Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
SimpleTom

700/725 puller project

SimpleTom
I've posted pictures of this in other posts and thought I would show a little of what I have done so far on it. Started with this tractor I picked up off Craigslist:

Engine was seized. Found that the aluminum cover on the flywheel side had seized to the crank and it broke when I tried to remove it. I had an 16hp Briggs twin engine from a Gilson I parted out sitting on the shelf waiting for a project so this is where it went.

I thought it would be better with a longer frame so I used a trans from a 7000 series tractor I had laying around and added 23x10.5x12 wheels/tires. I also put the 6 inch fronts back on.

I removed the lift lever and threw some paint on the rear seat pan/fenders to get a better view of it.

You can see the difference in length in this photo.

It's a full five inches different.

I added dual stacks and installed a better hood. I moved the pedal back using the holes from the lift arm and moved the foot rests under it. I also bought a new set of tri-ribs for it.

I will be moving the clutch/brake pedal to the left side. The right pedal will be the dead man's throttle.

My latest 700 tractor I aquired had a broken front axle and the spindels were worn so in order to keep it original I used the front axle from the puller. I installed a front axle from a 7000 series tractor instead noticing it is much heavier duty than the original.

Here is what it looks like right now.

Here is a video link to it running. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei2iP7hjUfE[/url] Once I get all the mechanicals worked out I will be making new tins for the engine and an extension for the seat pan/console. Tom

steve-wis
I assume the dead mans throttle is similar to a dead mans switch. I would guess that if you fell off the tractor, it would go to idle instead of continuing as speed like it would with a cable throttle. Am I right? If I ever finish the three projects I have going right now, I might build me a puller too. Looks like fun! Steve

nateb17010
that would not meet stock rules here I would have to pull in mod stock. yes a dead man throttle is just that it returns the throttle back to idle. there is a kill switch which you find on a trailer. "would lock the brakes if the trailer would come away" it kill the engine, the sled driver will have a hold of it, just in case he sees some thing go wrong he can kill the engine.

plastikosmd
Have you thought about adding a double belt/pulley to drive the rear? I guess one belt is good protection from damage, I imagine that is where slippage would occur first? Dunno