Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

700/725 puller project

SimpleTom

I've posted pictures of this in other posts and thought I would show a little of what I have done so far on it. Started with this tractor I picked up off Craigslist:

Engine was seized. Found that the aluminum cover on the flywheel side had seized to the crank and it broke when I tried to remove it. I had an 16hp Briggs twin engine from a Gilson I parted out sitting on the shelf waiting for a project so this is where it went.

I thought it would be better with a longer frame so I used a trans from a 7000 series tractor I had laying around and added 23x10.5x12 wheels/tires. I also put the 6 inch fronts back on.

I removed the lift lever and threw some paint on the rear seat pan/fenders to get a better view of it.

You can see the difference in length in this photo.

It's a full five inches different.

I added dual stacks and installed a better hood. I moved the pedal back using the holes from the lift arm and moved the foot rests under it. I also bought a new set of tri-ribs for it.

I will be moving the clutch/brake pedal to the left side. The right pedal will be the dead man's throttle.

My latest 700 tractor I aquired had a broken front axle and the spindels were worn so in order to keep it original I used the front axle from the puller. I installed a front axle from a 7000 series tractor instead noticing it is much heavier duty than the original.

Here is what it looks like right now.

Here is a video link to it running. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei2iP7hjUfE[/url] Once I get all the mechanicals worked out I will be making new tins for the engine and an extension for the seat pan/console. Tom

Way cool Tom! Did you see another one here in Brookfield for $150? It is not me...go get it!:D

I assume the dead mans throttle is similar to a dead mans switch. I would guess that if you fell off the tractor, it would go to idle instead of continuing as speed like it would with a cable throttle. Am I right? If I ever finish the three projects I have going right now, I might build me a puller too. Looks like fun! Steve

that would not meet stock rules here I would have to pull in mod stock. yes a dead man throttle is just that it returns the throttle back to idle. there is a kill switch which you find on a trailer. "would lock the brakes if the trailer would come away" it kill the engine, the sled driver will have a hold of it, just in case he sees some thing go wrong he can kill the engine.

Have you thought about adding a double belt/pulley to drive the rear? I guess one belt is good protection from damage, I imagine that is where slippage would occur first? Dunno

I have ran a single belt for years I lose power first. but you have to have a good belt so every 4-5 pulls 3 hooks per I change my belt to prevent that from happening.

quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton7016
Did you see another one here in Brookfield for $150? It is not me...go get it!:D
No theres not!;)