Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

712H Gas Tank Replacement

jdhorton00

My Allis Chalmers 712H has a leaking gas tank. I wondered where all my gas went after it was put away for the winter. I pulled the gas tank and found it is leaking at the bottom near the fuel line connection. The previous owner had the same problem because there was a mound of JB Weld "fixing" it. Can anyone help me with finding a replacement gas tank? I have a local tractor store that still deals with Allis Chalmers tractors and I might be able to get a replacement tank there, but it will be a few days before I can get there. Anyone know what the price might be? How about an alternative gas tank that will work? I would rather keep the gas gauge showing through the top of hood though. Thanks for the suggestions!

If its one of the tanks with the rubber grommet around the metal nipple you can buy replacement grommets to install, providing you can clean up the JB weld goo'ed around it. I have never cared for the grommet type tanks. In really cold weather there is a tendency to have all your gas leak out of the tank around the grommet. Such happened to the Massey 2818 I had the first winter I bought it new. What my favorite fix is , is to get a used tank from a early 7000 series or 3400 or 3300 series tractor and use. These have the nipple actually molded into the tank so the nipple and tank are one piece.

Get an epoxy gas tank repair kit from NAPA for plastic tanks Around $8.00. These are made for use around gas and don't lift off like JB weld or fiber glass will.