Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Coronet hydro question

steve-wis

Hi, Well, that Coronet rear engine mower that I bought with the blown engine is ready for spring, running great. This is the first hydro I have owned. When I start it, the transmission is very sluggish for a minute or so, but after I work it forward-reverse a couple of times it works good. I am wondering if this will get worse when it is 90 degrees out instead of 30? Also, nothing in the book tells me to check the hydro for fluid. Is there a way to check and fill these? And if so, what is used for fluid? Looks like I am about to learn something new again....... Steve

Some of the smaller hydros are self contained. It would be best to download operator's book for maintenance tips. Cold weather could make a sluggish unit on start up versus warm and faster responding.

my hydro was sluggish in my 7117 and I changed the hydro fuild and made sure it was full, to the top of the fill tube and it was better this winter. I used ATF in mine when I changed fluid. I suspect yours is similar in needing to be brim full and ATF.

BLT, operators book only says to change hydro fluid if serviced, but shows no place to check level or to add. And cwm1276, there is no fill tube or plug that I can find on the thing. Must be self contained, I guess. There is only a procedure for adjusting the valve linkage for neutral to be in the proper place, but that isn't a problem. Guess I will wait for hot weather and see what it does. Steve

my 94 simplicity 12.5 is a self contained unit. it called for 50w engine oil when I was working in it. I just went down to the local dealer and asked for a filter sense I was in there anyways. I had to split the case, but if you get your parts first you can do it in a few hrs. good luck