Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
MarksA-C

Transmission Troubles *Good News*

MarksA-C
Well, I think the 6518 is starting to show signs of trouble. sm02 I was out snowblowing and the trans seems to "Skip". Its jumpy and seems to miss and catch. Its a Eaton 850 trans. Maybe its time for new fluid and filter? Or is the 6518 in need for a trans replacement/rebuild? Mark-

joshuaareed
Snowblowing????? It has been sunny and upwards of 60 degrees here in central NY. Mark is that a hydro or a gear drive in the 6518? By the statement "fluid and filter" I would guess it is a Hydro. Maybe it got over worked when you were snowblowing the opossums. Just kidding, I think it was you with the pics of snowblowing and opossums getting flung out.

MarksA-C
quote:
Originally posted by joshuaareed
Snowblowing????? It has been sunny and upwards of 60 degrees here in central NY. Mark is that a hydro or a gear drive in the 6518? By the statement "fluid and filter" I would guess it is a Hydro. Maybe it got over worked when you were snowblowing the opossums. Just kidding, I think it was you with the pics of snowblowing and opossums getting flung out.
Yeah, it was me, kind of.. Simpletom photoshoped the picture. We got hit with 4-6" last night.

sunrunner
Mark - I just rewired/lubed and adjusted all, tuned up/oil changed my 6516 and changed the freak'en drive belt(what a painXX(in the a**) yesterday - I plan on doing a tranny fluid/filter change next weekend.....If you don't attack yours first - I'll keep you updated on how it goes:D - Can you explain more on the SKIP part? Tranny or belt?

MarksA-C
quote:
Originally posted by sunrunner
Mark - I just rewired/lubed and adjusted all, tuned up/oil changed my 6516 and changed the freak'en drive belt(what a painXX(in the a**) yesterday - I plan on doing a tranny fluid/filter change next weekend.....If you don't attack yours first - I'll keep you updated on how it goes:D - Can you explain more on the SKIP part? Tranny or belt?
Its in the tranny. It will seem to lurch when driving. Kind of loose power and then go again but really fast.

MarksA-C
quote:
No weird noises from the trans - just loss of power and back on - No leaks?
Sometimes it making a clicking noise, but besides that nothing. Has a small leak but it is still full of fluid.

sunrunner
I am going thru the manuals for the hydro types I have.... One troubleshooting chapter says: Loss of power 1 - Check fluid level 2 - Check external control linkage 3 - Check Dump or by-pass valve 4 - replace transmissionXX( another: System jerky when starting: 1 - Inspect external control linkage 2 - Check valves 3 - XX( one more for now: release valve - check broken/slipping drive belt clutch idler pulley bracket not moving low fluid drive linkage not functional - check all fluid restriction - check for kinks or bends in tubes/hoses or clogged filter8 drive pulley not secured to transaxle damage to transaxleXX( that one was out of the eaton 850 manual

MarksA-C
GOOD NEWS! As it turns out the belt is in really bad shape. It was tighter on the pulleys when cool but when it would heat up it would stretch a lot. I am still going to change out the fluid and filter but I think the belt is the overall problem.

MarksA-C
quote:
Just wondering how you making out with the belt?sm01
Well...waiting on NAPA. Called them and ordered it and still waiting for the call back... Going to call them later and see whats going on.