Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
jwalk

Powermax PTO Shaft

jwalk
Has anyone had any luck having a rear PTO shaft rebuilt? My Powermax is missing appx. 10" from behind the engine. I'm guessing that it rubbed on the throttle cable,or something else and was cut off. The previous owner disconnected the yoke and threw it away. The remaining shaft looks good through the clutch and when you spin it by hand the rear PTO spins freely. I was surprised by how thin the shaft is in the middle and don't know if that would make it tough to weld and balance. Does anybody know what rpm the shalt should be spinning from the engine when you are operating an implement? Any thoughts out there would be helpful. jwalk in colo.

richp
Problem is that shaft spins fast. I was going to build one but never got around to it. Figure the shaft spins at engine rpm. Must be geared down in the tranny so the engine rpm's are higher.

D-17_Dave
If you have both ends of the shaft a decent machine shop can sleeve and repair the old shaft. If your missing the splines then I'd suggest you get a good machine shop to retro the front engine coupling into a slip sleeve and universal joint. You'll likely have a lot of trouble finding anything aftermarket with the splines. The shaft spins at engine rpm. Most attchments are made to run at or near wide open throttle. The run out on the shaft must be near perfect and balanced to run the shaft this fast or you'll be replacing it and other things soon again.

jwalk
Thanks for the input! I guess I am missing the splines and did not know that it needed to slip length wise. Is this to make it more adjustable on motor placement? The jeep shaft idea sounds like it might be easier to find, What era of jeep are we talking about? Thanks again for your help. You know there isn't a time when I come to this site and I don't leave with more helpful information! jwalk

D-17_Dave
The shaft relies on the engine being in near perfect alignment with the shaft. Otherwise the bearings in the clutch and rear end will not align and wear out real fast. This is an issue on the after market engine swaps as the CCK Onan engines have a footprint and crankshaft center line different from any new style engine. Once mounted the shaft needs very little slip joint, but it will need some.