Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Decoding Help Please

Roy

May have found a suitable 16 hp Briggs for my 7018. Have decoded the 326431 Model Number but would like to decode the Type and Code numbers. Type: 0133-02 Code: l7712161 Per the Model Number it is a rope start model. Would like to know if it has an alternator, toothed flywheel, booster fan, etc. Or, to put it another way, will it work in the 7018 without spending a lot to get the missing pieces that will be needed? Thanks,

If it is a rope-start engine, then it probably will not have an alternator. You would have to use a flywheel pulley with a starter-generator. I was planning on using an S-G with the 16 Hp for my 7116H, till I located a replacement for the missing bendix type starter for a decent price.

Built Dec16,1977 shift 1. Can't help with the type code. I agree with Rod, if it is rope start there will be no altenator and with the year I would say no ring gear either.

Rod/Thom, Think you are right. Looking at the Parts Manual there are a lot of vital parts that are different for the electric start models. Bob, Engine is an I/C. Picture is poor but best I can do from the Operator's Manual. Haven't seen the actual engine as it is in Knoxville.

Still like to know what Type 0133 means. Thanks,

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Rod/Thom, Think you are right. Looking at the Parts Manual there are a lot of vital parts that are different for the electric start models. Bob, Engine is an I/C. Picture is poor but best I can do from the Operator's Manual. Haven't seen the actual engine as it is in Knoxville.
[img]/club2/attach/Roy/BS16HP.jpg[/img]
Still like to know what Type 0133 means. Thanks,
Roy 0133 is simply a build of material number for the production department and for parts people to identify parts other then standard. Standard bill engines would be the replacement line that was available. You would use a standard engine and then swap certain parts off the old engine to make it work. There were at one time certain OEM replacement engines available. I know Simplicity had an 8 HP available for Broadmoors. I swapped some of them. You would still need to swap some parts.

I have seen few if any replacement non -tractor engines that were equipped with a flywheel starter or alternator. Most all I run across have to be used with the starter generator style starter and charging system. I could be wrong, but I dont think these are even drilled to mount a flywheel alternator.

Roy it should be drilled and tapped for the starter generator. If it was a starter engine it would be 326437. You may have to add a booster fan to drive with the SG and attach the simplicity drive shaft and of course new ig switch and a few wires.

Roy, Should be an easy install if you go with the S/G setup. I used the same model 16HP Briggs when I repowered my 17GTH-L. The fan/booster "pulley" (Briggs ref# 321 - what the starting rope wraps around) is what the S/G belt wraps around. It is already drilled and tapped to accept the Simplicity drive shaft. You'll need to add the S/G mounting bracket and top mounted bracket for the tension arm to the engine. The block should already be tapped for the lower bracket, mine was. The upper bracket uses head bolts to secure it. Here's some pics:

The only pic I can find of the flywheel side of the engine is from a gear tooth starter 16HP Briggs (model #626437) that I picked up that was on a power washer:

It has the same fan/booster "pulley" as my model# 326431 engine. BTW, there were at least two types of S/G mounting brackets used by Simplicity/Homelite/Allis. They positioned the S/G slightly differently and use different length belts. My Homelite T-12 and Allis B-110 use a 37" belts, a Simplicity 3416 uses a 39" belt.

Humm, might be worthwhile if I can get the engine cheap enough. Adding the missing parts plus a voltage regulator could be expensive. Will talk to the guy, and if he still has it, make him a low offer. If I get it fine; if not, then I will wait for a later model with electronic ignition and the gear starter. Thanks to all for your input.

That's a good question, Bob. I need a new armature in my 728. It will start, but not charge. I was able to mow last year for a couple months with a six year old wallyworld battery, on a charge. I think the only thing you need a charging system for is if you used lights or had electric pto or lift.

Roy, Start now and do what I did. Bid on Starter-Genarators and voltage regulators on ebay. Once you get that extra setup, then you can use whatever engine you find. I finally ran into a deal where I bought a S-G and Regulator for $35. Now it is on the shelf as my backup parts. No, I will not sell it for that amount.:D

"Do you really need the charging system? Yes I do. It would offend my sense of "rightness" to not have a charging system on a tractor that is supposed to have one. My tractors are not show tractors but everything on them works as it should. I offered the guy $100 for the engine. He as asking $200. Then he did some research and has it re-listed for $500. Guess he didn't want to sell it to me. I wish him luck. Talked to another friend that traffics in used mowers and riders. He may find something for me. Thus far have been unable to talk another friend out of the 16 hp Briggs on a defunct Lincoln welder he has. Rod, I have a couple of S/G's and regulators in stock. Am holding out for the "right deal" on an engine that I like. Thanks to all,