Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is my axle history?

OrangeMetalGuy

Looks like you need to replace that torque tube. Sometimes when they break off they will also do significant damage to the transmission.

I think the whole transmission will have to come apart. The easiest solution would be to get another used transmission and swap them out.

Scott, fix it now! Or it WILL cause more damage and with much more cost. The best way is to remove the whole transaxle and lay it on it's side. If that crack expands you will have a miserable time even taking it apart.

10-4. Thanks for the info. I will definitely address this now. Some questions: 1. This is the hub/axle tube that's broken, right? 2. Mike when you remove the whole transaxle, does the transaxle unbolt from the rear frame or are you saying essentially separate the entire rear (black) of the tractor from the front (orange)? 3. To replace this, is this something I can do myself with normal hand tools or am I going to need specialized tools/torch/etc? 4. Last, is there an assembly/disassembly manual somewhere... I have a copy of the 7016H parts manual but nothing that actually has instructions on taking it apart or putting it back together. I guess I'm trying to evaluate if this is something I can do myself or if I should have the local Simplicity dealer pick it up and do it. The tractor is actually a 712H with a K341 engine. Saturday I'll give it a really good degrease so I can keep all the crud out of the insides. Thanks!

The swap of a complete trans-axle assembly is fairly straight forward with basic hand tools , jackstands etc. If you find another matching hydro set-up. Linkages and unbolting from the plates that connect it to the BGB. ReedS has a parts trans with axle tube etc listed in classifieds. But that would require a more in-depth disassembly. Try and find someone who downloaded the large frame repair manual from The Simplicty site, befor briggs started messing with it. Good luck

Only two tools I can think of is a drift punch, which you could use a bolt for, but a good pair of snap ring pliers saves a lot of X%#@!#^$&.

If I order the axle tube from a supplier such as Jack's, I should be able to pull the right wheel and disassemble enough to get it replaced, correct? I'd rather just replace the bad part instead of trying to find and swap a complete rear end... BTW thanks all for your help!! This site is fantastic. Is this the part (in red) that is cracked?

According to the parts manual on Jack's site this is a 1651517SM (for the Simplicity 7012H, the AC712H has no documentation but I think it's equivalent). And if I read the parts manual correctly, the differential is actually outside of the frame? Just want to make sure I understand what's what. I came home and gently rocked the tractor a little... looks like the shaft is broken in two because as I move it I can see the two halves come together or open further apart as it rocks. And the two halves seem to be somewhat loose so hopefully it'll come out easily enough.

If you follow the dotted line you will see everything the tube goes through. The differential is what is in the picture by the crack. How these work is the tube is spun by the trans out to the differential, then it is transfered to the right wheel through a short hub and the left wheel through an axle running back through the tube. In order to remove the tube one must split the trans to remove it from the gear. I would suggest if you replace it to also order the seals(31) and maybe the bearings/bushings(4) also. So you understand it is the same tube on the left side of the tractor also, it runs all the way through.

Found a donor transmission. What are the steps to swapping them out? I don't have a service manual.

I had to replace the tube in my Simp 2012 back in Aug 2000. Paid 153 dollars for it, two oil seals, and the gasket at a Simplicity dealer. It was fairly easy to replace, with the illustrated parts diagram.