Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
MrSteele

23 AB Briggs

MrSteele
I recently purchased a 23 AB Briggs engine, in nearly new shape, little wear, I suppose, as I have not removed the head. I simply shot a little of my Gibbs down the plug hole and it apparently released a stuck valve. I now have lots of compression. As I have the investment of $22.50 in the engine, I do not think I am hurt. The question: Was this engine ever used on any Simplicity machines? I bought it for the 3 bolt carb to use on my ZZ, and again, am looking for a 3 bolt carb, as this engine has fire and good compression, and I'll likely bolt it to a base and show it at antique engine shows

Chris727
I don't think so, I know it was not used on any of the front engine models. They only used the 23D. The AB model should have ball bearings in it, probably a much better engine than the 23D, though I think it may have the more problematic "Magnematic" ignition.

MPH
Any sign of OD paint on it? The army had a load of model 23 engines they used on generators. Does it have a fuel pump on it? I scored one off the local firedeptment that is in very good shape, not sure if it is ab or f something.

BLT
Model 23D's were used with the 1964 Lanlords. If there was a second letter "B" it was a ball bearing model, a keeper. Simplicity just used plain bearing models according to my Briggs parts list.

MrSteele
No OD on it, just a brown/tan color, and it looks as if it has never been mounted to anything at all. Even the inside of the gas tank looks brand new. I haven't taken anything apart on it as yet. It has fire, though I am not sure it has enough to run the engine. A little cleaning and maybe it will be perfect enough to at least listen to and show. I also bought another Jacobsen reel mower, a 22" Green Mower, self propelled with drums instead of wheels. The engine is 2-cycle, and, after a small bit of cleaning, intend to cut my swampy yard with it this weekend. The mower looks like it was used little, there is no real wear, even the inside of the carb looks new. I live in an area that used to be on maps as a swamp. We have dried it up, but when we get rain like we have been getting lately, a mower with wheels is not a good solution to use to cut grass. I guess I need the exercise?

dentwizz
Its odd though, my 23D has ball bearings. Did I get a goofy upgrade? I think there was a difference in the mounting configurations and gear reductions between the models also.

MrSteele
Actually, I thought all or most of the cast iron horizontal shafts were on ball bearings, too. I have not torn a 23D down, but, the ZZ is on ball bearings, at least the 38 model is.