Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Removing Pully on spindle shaft

globalmkts

Thanks for the note. Incidentally, I backed off the nuts. When I looked at the insides of the pullys (where the belt makes contact on the inside, closest to the shaft there is a hole, but there (are) is no screw(s) in it (them). Still can't seem to pull the pullys up. I've tapped them, heated them and WD-40d them. One has slight play but I still can't lift it up. What do you think? Thanks again! Bill:p

Did you try a three jaw puller? I have never had a problem getting the cast iron pulley off. It is the later ones with the cheaper pulleys that always seem to buckle. The other option is to put the mandrel in a vice (not tight, just snug), put the nut back on flush with the top of the spindle shaft, and get out a BAH (Big Almighty Hammer) and start whompin' the snot out of it till she frees up just a sliver. Then put the 3 jaw puller on it again. But I really would double check to make sure the allen screw is out of there. Sometimes it looks like it is out, but is not. Like I said, if it is in fact out, I don't ever recall having a problem getting the cast iron versions off with a puller. Swearing seems to help too....;)

Good advice from the "master" of 3-jaw pullers. Erik, I seem to recall an axle hub that almost brought you to your knees! :D:D Glen

Not just me Glen....three other members, two butane torches, a three jaw puller powered by a 150 PSI impact wrench, etc. That was the most stubborn one I have encountered. But she came free. These cast iron deck pulleys are nothing! ^

You can try to loosen the pulley with a hammer by driving the shaft out the bottom. Just try to brake loose. Don`t try to drive completely out the bottom or you will destroy the two washers below the pulley. Because the woodruff key that is in the pulley will destroy the washers.

I had a pulley clamp made by the local machine shop to pull these off. I do enough of them to make it worth what I paid. I was tired of bending the pullies and have actually srtaightened some to usable condition with this. This fits the cast pullies too. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/kismar/Pulley%20Puller/HP066.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/kismar/Pulley%20Puller/HP067.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/kismar/Pulley%20Puller/HP073.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/kismar/Pulley%20Puller/HP069.jpg[/IMG]

Thom that pulley puller setup is really really nice, I bet if you have a few more made some of us members would buy them from you. Very nice tool.

Joshua: I offered when I had the original made and there was no takers. The machineshop made up a blueprint(?) of it when he made it so making more is possible. The original cost to me was $100 but that included a set-up fee. Anymore would run $50-60 each which if you are only doing one deck is still steep. I think you can replace all the pullies for that. This is nonadjustable and made specificly for the older style arbor pullies which I believe are 4.5". I have probably done a dozen decks since I had the tool and haven't ruined a pulley yet. I even pulled one off that was rotted up without bending it.