Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 310 mower deck rehab

sammiefish

In the process of rebuilding the mower deck. I suppose after grandpa died and gramma hired a man to cut the grass there wasn't much concern for maintaining the equipment properly... well, its getting done now! as you can see there are a few issues here.... the roller bar is bent... wah and a small rust through on top middle of picture... !

the baffle by the chute is gone... B)

and the roller bar and rollers need some major something sm00

any advice as to how to attack this... any suggestions would be really appreciated OO thanks!

The roller bar is pretty easy. Just go to the hardware store and by a 4' section of 5/8ths round stock. I think you need only to weld it to one end. As for the rest, I would recommend taking lots of pictures, then disassemble completely, weld up the hole, replace any bearings while you have it apart, replace any bad parts, and reassemble using anti-seize very liberally throughout.

Thanks!! Does anyone have a picture of this (or very similar) deck that shows details of how the baffle should be near the chute and the edge bar? It seems like Im just gonna need to fabricate but I dont really know how it is SUPPOSED to be

They are still available from the dealers. The rollers I have drilled out and inserted PVC pipe inside of them. The bar can be bent back in line untill you can get one.

well, removed the roller bar last night and got it out of the bracket pretty easily. Simplicity does have them ... but they are $75 for the 41 1/4" straight bar!! For that Im making one. Just drilling two holes in the ends for pins and good to go. I was disappointed to learn that the roller bushings are not available. They come only with new rollers...8C I later learned that the bushings ARE available... I just had to talk to the right person who either knew how to look them up or didnt care about just selling me new rollers

While I was cleaning this up I found some cracks near the front mount attachment points. Not too bad and still tight. Someone musta given this quite a whack! So we'll get some welds on there too. ++ on the PVC pipe idea... probably have to bite the bullet on at least 1 roller though.

As worn as those rollers are I would replace them with new. You will get more cutting height as well. I usually rebush mine if they are still tight enough for the bushing to hold. The outer rollers wear the worst, where the cotter pin and washer eat into the ends. The bushings, original # 108419 (I think) are still available under a new # 1663114SM. My dealer still has them for the old price of $.67 now they are $1.37.

sammiefish, i restored one last year and ran in to the same problems you did i found that it helps to have plenty of spare parts to these things i still have a bunch of spare parts to mine i might be able to help with . mooseman

and this is what it went on

wow moose, that looks nice... BTW, what did you use for paint? ive got some updates to this project... here is the new bar stock with the bracket re-welded... still has to be cut to exact length...

this is the new chute assy... This is still available from Simplicity. Its not exactly the same but close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades...

this is one of the patches welded in...

here is the other...

May not be able to do anything with a couple of these rollers.. too far gone...

While the fender was off the front tab needed to be re-attached... must be alot of stress there when clutch/braking...

still going... thanks for all the help!! sm01

Looks good....regardless of what you use for rollers, be sure to gob the bar with as much anti-seize as you can gob on there.

Sammiefish . for the paint i used Rust-oleum specialty Appliance epoxy ultra hard enamel . and wet sanded and 7 coats total and then a buff with a power buffer . it went through i hole mowing season so far and it still looks great (except for the weld spots i hit a rather large rock last year and had to do some work to get it back into shape . but i also cleaned the mower deck with a power washer every 3 mows.

• 2 weeks later...