Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Time1992

CCKB valve adjustment

Time1992
I thought I had all the tune up data etc. but I cant find anything on doing a valve adjustment. The engine has a light knock and I am curious if this might be the problem. Thanks, Tim its on my 73 4041

BenB
Tim, My manual shows the valve clearance is the same on CCK,CCKA, and CCKB Onans. With the engine cold, intake is 0.007 and the exhaust is 0.016 Please post back and let us know if the adjustment stopped the noise. Hope this helps, Ben

D-17_Dave
When adjusting the valves on any small engine adjust them with that cyl. on it's compression stroke and at TDC. This will insure the cam lobes are putting no pressure in the lifters. I dought the valves are loud enough to cause any noise. Hows the oil pressure? Does the noise stop when you push in the clutch? Indicating something loose in the clutch drive. Might also check the rear PTO. Could have the holes in the fiber disc egg shaped or worn rubber mount bushings in the spline drive. Could be time to pull the heads and look for carbon deposite or signs of a piston hitting the head.

Time1992
Replaced the clutch bearings and all is tight, pto componits are ok, but the carbon in the head idea might be it. It does get quieter when it warms up, Im afraid that could mean piston slap, ristpin or rod bushings ? It dosent smoke and comp. is real good.

D-17_Dave
Normally on internal engine parts a noise gets louder when it warms up due to the oil viscosity getting thinner. If the noise lowers when warm I'd say it's time to pull the heads for sure. Hope that's all it is.dOd