Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Not enough gloss - Duplicolor 1620

OrangeMetalGuy
Hi, working on painting my hood... put on about 4 coats of Duplicolor 1620 the other day, let it sit for 3 days. Looks nice but not as shiny as when first applied. Do I need to lay on a couple more coats, or should I just let it get good and hard for a few months then wet sand? Not looking for a showcar finish but I'd like a little more shine to it.

JimDk
Scott, That's the same problem that I had with the Duplicolor White that I used on my Homelite hood. I think they are using a cheaper nozzle system than they used to. My paint spray pattern seemed too coarse. I had used the same paint in past years, and it was ok. Jim

OrangeMetalGuy
Well I laid on two more heavy coats (following the tactic of a tack coat, medium then final thick wet coat)... looking great right now, we'll see how it looks in the morning. I guess I need to let it bake in the sun tomorrow too... how long should I wait until I install the new stickers (the ones from FS - they're actually heavy vinyl stickers not decals).

dentwizz
Be careful when applying the decals. I would wait a couple weeks for the paint to be totally gassed out(cured)before applying vynil. Otherwise it can force bubbles to the surface in time ruining the adhesion. You may not need a real wet-sand to acheive gloss, but you may end up wanting to do a good polish. Wait about a month to be safe, then take a medium-cut polish either by hand or slow polisher. Follow it by a swirl-remover by hand and wax. It should gloss up just fine. Do be careful about the edges as it can get easy to wear through on polishing.