Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Not enough gloss - Duplicolor 1620

OrangeMetalGuy

Hi, working on painting my hood... put on about 4 coats of Duplicolor 1620 the other day, let it sit for 3 days. Looks nice but not as shiny as when first applied. Do I need to lay on a couple more coats, or should I just let it get good and hard for a few months then wet sand? Not looking for a showcar finish but I'd like a little more shine to it.

Not a paint guy by anymeans , but have heard of putting in a little more hardener would make it better? Looks GREAT from here!

Scott, That's the same problem that I had with the Duplicolor White that I used on my Homelite hood. I think they are using a cheaper nozzle system than they used to. My paint spray pattern seemed too coarse. I had used the same paint in past years, and it was ok. Jim

Well I laid on two more heavy coats (following the tactic of a tack coat, medium then final thick wet coat)... looking great right now, we'll see how it looks in the morning. I guess I need to let it bake in the sun tomorrow too... how long should I wait until I install the new stickers (the ones from FS - they're actually heavy vinyl stickers not decals).

Be careful when applying the decals. I would wait a couple weeks for the paint to be totally gassed out(cured)before applying vynil. Otherwise it can force bubbles to the surface in time ruining the adhesion. You may not need a real wet-sand to acheive gloss, but you may end up wanting to do a good polish. Wait about a month to be safe, then take a medium-cut polish either by hand or slow polisher. Follow it by a swirl-remover by hand and wax. It should gloss up just fine. Do be careful about the edges as it can get easy to wear through on polishing.