Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I don't want to make the same mistake again!

Cvans

I'm looking at a Simplicity Sovereign 3314V and the owner claims that it is a 3 spd. with a variable drive. Is this true? Does the "V" stand for variable? Will this 3324V creep if I want it to? Are these a good system? I was sold a Baron with variable drive and it turned out to be a shuttle shift. I don't want another one of those. So this time I'm asking before I buy :D. Thanks for your help! Chris

3314V. The V is for variable, S is for shuttle. The transmission for the variable has 3 forward gears and a reverse gear with 7 speeds in the variable in each gear hence 21 speeds forward and 7 reverse speeds. The transmission for the shuttle has 4 forward gears with no reverse gear. The reverse is in the shuttle with a forward and reverse in each gear hence 4 speeds forward and four speeds in reverse. With the variable you need to push in the clutch between each gear change but not between the 7 speed positions on the variable lever. The shuttle you do not have to clutch between forward and reverse with the shuttle lever. With the shuttle lever in the neutral position you can shift gears with out pushing in the clutch

Thanks Maynard. I know very little about these things and I don't want to get burned again. Do I have to push in the clutch each time I change direction? Are the forward and reverse speeds shift on the fly? Would you consider this drive system pretty much bullet proof? Thanks again for your help, Chris

Yes you will have to push in the clutch when changing direction because you will have to move the shifter between your legs to go into reverse. I had a variable drive and loved it until I found a hydro. They are very tough systems if they are maintained properly. You will not have to do to much adjusting at all. Good luck and I believe they are a much better system than the shuttle.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
3314V. With the variable you need to push in the clutch between each gear change but not between the 7 speed positions on the variable lever. The shuttle you do not have to clutch between forward and reverse with the shuttle lever. With the shuttle lever in the neutral position you can shift gears with out pushing in the clutch

Thanks guys for your help. My 6512.5 has the hydro control between my legs and I was hoping to find something with the controls up by the dash. That is the ONLY thing I don't like about the 6500 series. Otherwise it is just about the perfect machine for me. Thanks again for letting me pick your minds! Chris