Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Went to the dark [green] side

briggsetc

Well I went to the dark side today,but it is temporary, i think. I am blaming it on "you guys" that talked up craigs list. I was on there this morning and saw a "1963 John Deere 110" for sale. A little research showed me how rare they are, 1,000 made. I called and as expected a previous caller informed him it was not a 63 but a 66 vintage. Long story short, I got pics, looked good, drove 160 miles in the rain/snow and brought it home for 300 bucks. Running Kohler "rebuilt" 3 years ago by students, sounds good. Nice tin, repaint not great but preserved it. Original tires are very usable, it must have been inside most of its life. Patched deck looks usable, expect to need bearings. I already introduced it to my 64 LL to show him who the big dog is. How did I do on price ? I dont think I stole it or over paid, of course I would. He thought there variable drive problem. I did some brief research and I guess it has a snowmobile vari drive type set up with pulleys that move in and out to give you many ratios in one gear. Is it hard to get apart? It is probably sticking. Drove up the ramps on to the truck with no problem in low gear.

I really like the 110's I had a lot of fun mowing with one and the cassic fenders look neat, for a green one that is.

The price was fair but these are very difficult to work on. There was no thought given as to how one might have to get behind the dash and remove a simple cotter pin.Thes are very complex compared to the simplicity tractors but do run strong.Tell your 64 Landlord that he is still your favorite there in no competition here.

That is a pretty good price. The round fender 110s can go for some pretty good money when properly restored. The thing I like about John Deere is that you can still get detailed service (shop) manuals from a dealer. They can be difficult to work on but they are a good quality machine with very poor taste in color

That is what I was thinking, "difficult to work" on when I stuck my head under it to see about getting to the variable drive and couldn't see any of the components. It already made me apreciate the Landlord more and this site. To my knowledge there is not a better site dedicated to any make of garden tractor. JD info is not great considering collectability. If it was a simplicity I would have already downloaded a repair manual and antyhing else I needed. Looked like a smirk on the LL this morning. Like -- little green fellow you will be out of here sooner than you think.

Hi, Don't know if you are interested, but saw a snowblower for your new Deere on Craigslist in Milwaukee.....http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/grd/1107383236.html Not sure if this is the place to post this, but don't know where else you would see it. Nice tractor, for a green thing!! Steve

That pic was taken where I bought it,really. I have a JD 56 and JD H that I had BEFORE I got my LL. I think the H is going soon. Going to concentrate on garden tractors.