Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
MPH

Paint Curing ???

MPH
Waitting for Troybuilt parts I'm turning the parts I can red again, using DupliColor Red 1653 engine paint. Second coatted yesterday, had two days since first coat, as I had to wait til I went to Fairbanks to get more paint, parts felt dry and hard, UNTIL I put them on the stove top to heat up, they then became tackie again. Is this hard on the paint or is it a good thing? Like heating the parts as it really helps not to get runs plus a thicker coat of paint. Thanks for any feed back

BLT
Marty, some of the paints have a longer cure time then you think. The only way I can tell for sure if there no odor of paint on the finished product and if there it is, the paints still curing. It's not scientific, but it seems to work for me.

mooseman3210
I have always let the paint dry at least 6 hours or more the the recommended time on the can i live in a more humid climate and it seems to take longer to dry .1 other thing i do is to start the stove up in the shop and let the air get a little dryer it can make it a little hotter in the shop but it has been working for me . as for the smell test i haven't tried that but as i am painting the hood of this B1 I'm going to give it a try today thanks BLT for the idea I'll give it a try

dentwizz
The heating/reheating is not a problem for the paint. In fact, now that I have an oven in my garage(free is good) I usually paint and stick it in to stay hot while drying. The problem can arise,however is the issue of recoat window. In certain situations you have a number of hours to recoat or you wait a certain number of days for it to harden completely. Within that span in between it can interrupt the "gassing" process of the drying, which in turn produces bubbles and cracks. Most spray-can paints are rather tolerant of this, but a lot of thicker paint like the alkyds and heavy enamels will turn leathery if this is not observed. Ones like X-O Rust, will have a window of a couple hours to almost 3 weeks unless baked. I have found that the hard way.

SmilinSam
With rustoleum I have to wait weeks for it to dry completely if I want to coat it again for one reason or another after the intitial painting is done. As long a I do several light coats letting the paint get tacky between coats( about 5 minutes) it turns out good. If I wait too long the next coat ripples and peels up the previous coats. Did that to part of my lift lecer on my 914 project tonight. Now I gotta grind all the paint off and start over on that part.XX(8