Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Paint

dentwizz

I just tried Valspar tractor paint in sprayable quarts with hardener. My goodness! I did not realize how good this stuff was. I was using XO rust before, and it was tempermental to say the least. The valspar worked very easy and had no running tendancies. It dried fast, fast flash time. For a similar priced product (15 bucks for a quart), I wholly reccomend it. Just thought I'd let ya know.

Josh, Did you use thinner and hardener? What kind of ratio were you using? I'm just about to use the same brand on a larger tractor.

The instructions called for VMP naptha as the solvent and I used the Valspar Restoration series hardener. My mixing procedure is somewhat instinctive(I work in a paint shop as a day job) but I put the color in, then hardener, about 15-20% of the color volume. Stir thoroughly, then add the naptha to produce sprayable consistency. You want to add it in small portions and stir between to avoid over dilution. The viscosity desired is measurable for reproducibility, but I do not have the tool to measure it. I go by the "slosh" factor. If it sloshes almost the same as a similar quantity of water, then it is usually right for my gun. Depending on your gun it may be thicker or thinner. Some people in my shop prefer to go thin and apply in mist coats. That is a preference.

I didn't think the sheet I got from TSC said that much hardener but if it works I may try it. Did you get the paint from TSC?

I was unaware of the sheet:O. I was going by normal proportion by what we do at work with the commercial stuff. The hardener expires so there is really no incentive to stretch it. The MOST IMPORTANT THING with using hardener, other than use a charcoal mask, is to let it age or activate. The valspar hardener requires at least 30-40 minutes to do this. If it is not observed than it is basicly like thinner, expendable. It has to catalize all the way, sometimes it makes the pot get noticably hot (enough to melt a styrene cup). Yes this is TSC product.