Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

clinky engine - is this normal

AC_B-1Novice

Hey guys, I picked up my 6216 and snow blower Saturday and when I get some pictures I’ll post what I got for my $450.00 Not being familiar with this engine it sounds strange to me. I seems like it is noisy. By that I mean it makes a noise like a rattle. Not a knock but it just seems rattley. Is this normal for this type engine? Here is the info on the engine. B&S Model 402707 Type 0145-01 Code 84050812 The guy said it always sounded like that. Hope he was right. Some of you salty dogs can help me out on this. larry

Oil good? All engine shields tightened? Sure it comes from the engine? Lots of pieces to choose from on the tractor could be loose. especially the muffler tin. engine mounts tight? Belts not slapping something? sm00

I'm not absolutely sure but it does sound like it. It sounds deep rather than exterior sounding. When it is sped up you don't notice it. The mower was used right along mowing a church yard and I would hope they wouldn't story to me. larry

I think I know what you are referring to. Mine does that too. Never had any problems. All the ones at work that come in for service sound like that. Its an opposed twin engine, right?

Provided the oil is in check and the right grade, Air cooled Briggs can tend to have a valve tappet clank when the cams are retreating and the valves clearance a minor bit, followed by the cams coming back in contact. It is not an endemic problem, but if it is excessive, I would check the clearances.

Check to see that the engine mounting bolts are all there and tight. If it's a tinny rattly sound you may have a broken baffle in the muffler. I had one like that and when the RPM was up the noise would stop. Good Luck:) Dave

Highly likely to be the exhaust valve guide is worn. Nothing to worry about but I either bushing or re bushing mine.

Hi, The first thing I would check is the engine mounting bolts are thight. This is a VERY common cause of noise and often is confused with internal engine noises. It is usually only a factor with vertical shaft engines, as the torque surge from firing tends to cause the problem. The bolts can occasionally look thight and they may actually be nearly half cut off. Give it a look. Al Eden

Thanks for all the tips folks! I guess if I wanted to describe it I would say it sort of sounds like a diesel engine when starting. I'll check all the things offered in this group of posts. larry