Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Shine plastic gas tank

OrangeMetalGuy
Well I'm at the point in my resto job where I need to address the gas tank. It's in good shape but just dirty. Those who have the nice shiny ones, how did you achieve it... I've been reading about painting but apparently paint (even the Fusion) won't stay on plastic. So, wondering what is the best way... thought I might try some 1000-grit sandpaper and try to buff off the outer (dirty) layer a little, then use Armor-All or similar stuff.

ZippoVarga
Don't laugh till you try how I "shine up" plastic. After a thorough cleaning, light a propane torch and go over the tank quickly with it. It gives a permanent sheen to the plastic without using any chemicals at all and the results are instantaneous and lasting. I've been using this method (told to me by a body man who works for a major custom body shop in my area)for a few years and I am never disappointed with the results. Just make absolutely sure the tank has no residual fuel or fumes in it. Test a small area on the bottom of the tank to see for your self. Again I stress...just barely go over the surface until you see results. Any longer and you risk warping the plastic. Quick, simple and lasting...what more could ya ask for? Pics of the before and after would be great!