Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Shine plastic gas tank

OrangeMetalGuy

Well I'm at the point in my resto job where I need to address the gas tank. It's in good shape but just dirty. Those who have the nice shiny ones, how did you achieve it... I've been reading about painting but apparently paint (even the Fusion) won't stay on plastic. So, wondering what is the best way... thought I might try some 1000-grit sandpaper and try to buff off the outer (dirty) layer a little, then use Armor-All or similar stuff.

Use a scotch brite and armor all if you feel the need to go abrasive. The sandpaper wil cloud the texture, scotch brite is softer material and less drastic.

Don't laugh till you try how I "shine up" plastic. After a thorough cleaning, light a propane torch and go over the tank quickly with it. It gives a permanent sheen to the plastic without using any chemicals at all and the results are instantaneous and lasting. I've been using this method (told to me by a body man who works for a major custom body shop in my area)for a few years and I am never disappointed with the results. Just make absolutely sure the tank has no residual fuel or fumes in it. Test a small area on the bottom of the tank to see for your self. Again I stress...just barely go over the surface until you see results. Any longer and you risk warping the plastic. Quick, simple and lasting...what more could ya ask for? Pics of the before and after would be great!