Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

"Summer"izing a rig

Simpleton7016

Lot's of folks (myself included) winterize a tractor or two. What should I do to "summer"ize my snow mover? Is it as simple as just driving it around once a month to get some fresh gas through the carb? Should I shut off the fuel shut off valve and run the carb dry? Is it OK to sit for months with a bone-dry carb?

I am a firm believer in running Stabil in the fuel all of the time to prevent gas from going bad. I don't do anything different for the summer other than maybe change the oil and install the Barley Pop holder. I am sure others do things differently.

One ounce of Stabil per about 2 gallons of gas. Add and let it sit overnight to blend in. Run the engine for 3-4 minutes to let gas get in carb. Shut off fuel line and run dry. That's it until next fall. Your self life will extend out out to over nine months and maybe better. Stabil isn't that opptomistic, but in real life it works better then that, even with our E-85 crapola.

I run mine year round but do put some seafoam carb cleaner in anything that has sat for a while. It works wonders!

i been using seafoam for 4-5 years now and have had zero carb problems, some sit all winterin the cold, some, well, my 725, sits all winter being shop queen, some all summer.

Marty, I expected a response from you to go something like this:
quote:
What is this "summer" thing y'all are referring to?
Thanks guys!

I've been running Seafoam in mine for about 6 years now and have no problems, even after sitting all winter. As for you in Wisconsin I wouldn't worry about Summerizing, it's only 2 months and it'll be snowing again:O:O;);)

I put my Stabil in my gas cans that I bring to the gas station. As soon as the gas can is empty, I place 2-3 ounces of Stabil in the empty can, that way when I fill them up, they are ready. jh

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
I run mine year round but do put some seafoam carb cleaner in anything that has sat for a while. It works wonders!
Mike you only have one tractor. Soon Erik will soon have two for every season.:D:D:D

I just change oil and implements since I use mine a couple times a month. I also have a shut-off near the carb that I run the carb mostly out with prior to shut down. My other equipment usually gets run dry for the winter.

So where do you guys get this Seafoam stuff all of you guys are bragging about. I'll have to get me some of that, and give it a try.

Farm and fleet or his arch nemesis Fleet Farm. I think the tractor supply stores have it as well. Used to be able to get a bottle for 5 bucks, now its about 6.50 or 7.00 on sale.

I would run the carb dry and drain the tank. I don't trust the gas with the ethanol in it even with sea foam or stabil

Other thing I've tun in gas is Marvel Mystrey oil in my Troybuilt. Valves would seem like they'd float if I didn't. Never had any carb trouble with it, hit the little drain buttom on the bottom of the bowl tod drain the water and it fire up in a couple pulls every spring.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
Mike you only have one tractor. Soon Erik will soon have two for every season.:D:D:D
Ahh, but you are wrong. 17GTH-l, Legacy, 7016 with electric lift and a 2012 landlord. Parts tractor 3416 as well that looks like it was hit with a bomb. It is hemoriging parts. That is the toy fund. When ever I want something I sell a couple parts :D Sadly only 2 of mine run and run well. The 17GTH-L that I need to put the hydro in and the legacy runs like a champ.

I never had luck with stabil,started using seafoam at $5.00 a can & now that its $8.00 a can, so now back to good ole marvel mystrey oil.

Seafoam is evenavailable at the Home Depot (at least Milwaukee 124th & Capitol Drive) for $7.00. I run some thru the gas tanks when usage is high in the spring. I always use Stabil when I fill the 5 gallon can as soon as the gas starts sitting at the end of the summer. What else can we city folks do when the only gas we can buy is the oxygenated (10% ethanol minimum)?

I know I'll get blasted from someone, but. I do nothing at all. I run high test gas in all my small engines, from the Harley to the Weed Eater, and everything in between. It runs better in the engines, I burn less on average, when compared to regular gas( I tried when prices were high last year. I simply used more gas when using regular, so I went back to high test) Gas has never been a problem when I store something until next year, such as the weed eater, blower, Yazoo mower, which I use only rarely, and leave with a full tank of gas to keep cond3ensation down in the tank. Comparing high test gas to the price of Stabil or Seafoam? It is cheaper than using the additives.