Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SunStar Two Stage Snowblower

CarlH

I recently acquired a SunStar two stage snowblower (thanks to PeppyDan for picking it up). It is a completely different design from the the ubiquitous single stage Simplicity snowblowers. I noticed it said that it was manufactured in Canada. Also, recently in the eBay ads, there was a two stage snowblower for a Broadmoor that bore some resemblance to my SunStar snowblower. Are these manufactured for Simplicity by another company? And, if so, who is the manufacturer?

AS far back as I can remember and have been able to find out the simplicity blowers have been made in Canada. I don't know what the name of the MFG is. I had a two stage blower on a 20hp sunstar to use for awhile and did not like it. The single stage on the 7790 would blow circles around it as would my 7016. I was going to trade my 7790 for it but the performance of the Sunstar and the two stage blower changed my mind in a heart beat.

Carl, as you know I have the same unit as yours and I do agree with ambler that it is heavy and you will need some weight in the back for traction. I need to agree & disagree with UCD about the performance of the blower in comparison with the single stage blower for the 900 series. The SS(single stage) blower is quicker at moving the snow but it does not throw it as far as the TS(two stage) blower. The TS is definitely slower with the original 20hp engine and is always working the engine very hard. I recall UCD saying that his Legacy with the 27hp diesel and redesigned TS is much better than the Sunstar but seven extra horses and the additional torque of the diesel will make for a huge difference in performance. I installed a 25hp Command engine in my Sunstar this fall and can tell you that it is like a different tractor/blower with those five extra horses. I can also tell you that my 20hp Magnum engine was very strong and had low hours on it. It was a new short block with only 200 hrs on it and during the repair, the intake and exhaust were match ported and polished. A TS will need a lot more power and will not be able to handle as much ground speed in deep snow but will get the snow further away from the path and in my situation keeps me from needing to move in two or three times to clear my areas. Dan

Your right Dan more horses on a snow blower the better off you are. The torque on these short stroke "V" engines are not like the old single briggs in my opinion.

I agree, I think the 16hp Briggs is equal to the 20hp Kohler magnum. I have the 27hp in my Prestige and it handles the 2 stage very well. HP counts, even if the ponies are smaller and faster

I was always surpised at Maynard's dislike of 2 stage blowers. I think it is a unique situation with the one he had. Walk-behind 2-stage blowers are the standard, of course. Over the years I have had several different brands and some work better than others. I currently have an older Toro and a 10 year old Sears (don't know hwo made it) and they both blow snow pretty darn good for 5 or 6 hp. I use my plows until the edge of the sidewalks get built up too high ... then the blowers have to do it! Tom

There were 3 different blowers offered for the Sunstars. One was a single stage just like the 7000 and 7100 series tractors, then there were two different 2-stage, a 46" standard, and then a 47" commercial rated one. I have the 47" commercial, and it is extremely heavy and needs alot of counterweight, but I do liike the quick-hitch, just drive up, lift the hitch, and connect the driveshaft. I also cannot believe how how it can throw snow, but does use the hores of the magnum 20. I do prefer it to the 42" single stage that I used on my Agco-Allis 918H.

what is the poduct ID# for the 47" commercially rated one?
quote:
Originally posted by a-cman
There were 3 different blowers offered for the Sunstars. One was a single stage just like the 7000 and 7100 series tractors, then there were two different 2-stage, a 46" standard, and then a 47" commercial rated one. I have the 47" commercial, and it is extremely heavy and needs alot of counterweight, but I do liike the quick-hitch, just drive up, lift the hitch, and connect the driveshaft. I also cannot believe how how it can throw snow, but does use the hores of the magnum 20. I do prefer it to the 42" single stage that I used on my Agco-Allis 918H.

• 9 years later...

Berco made 2stage blowers for Simplicity and other oems, as did/does RAD.  Berco would have been the manufacturer for the Sunstar blowers.