Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign with Kohler Command

CarlH

I am working on installing a Command engine in a 7119. I can see from the parts breakdown that a regular rubber compression coupling and driveshaft is used. What sort of adapter is bolted to the flywheel to mate with the rubber coupling?

Carl, Are you working from scratch or using an engine conversion kit? Al Eden should know what the adapter is and where it comes from. Anyone know why a rubber coupling is used with a Command v-twin instead of the fiberglass disk?????

The rubber coupling is NLA. Tried buying one two years ago. Simpleton7016 has a 914 with a 16HP Briggs that has two long spacers to make up the difference.

On my 17GTHL, with KT17 engine, there was a "plate assembly", part number 1669040 (still available, but pricey at Jack's at $23.85)between the flywheel and rubber coupling. The exact same plate was used on the Briggs 16HP single installation. I would think the KT19 would have used the same "plate assembly". Also, there is a bushing, part number 176440 (Jack's @ $1.06) used inside the rubber coupling in both installations. When I converted the 17GHTL to the Briggs, the only thing I had to get was the correct length driveshaft made for the rubber coupling - it has an extended nipple to center in the rubber coupling and is shorter than the 16HP Briggs installations without the rubber coupling. However, according the the parts breakdown of the Sovereign's that came from the factory with the 18HP Kohler Command engine (OHV), the "plate assembly" wasn't used. The rubbber coupling, with bushing, was bolted directly to the engine. I believe all the engines spec'd for Simplicity had flywheels that accepted the standard simplicity 2 bolt driveshaft assemblies. If the command engine you're installing doesn't have the standard Simplicity flywheel, you'll probably have to make a custom adapter piece. Hope this makes some sense to you.

Roy, I believe Simplicity used the rubber coupling on all Sovereigns starting with the later model 7116 (mfg #1691382) all the way through the last Sovereigns except for the ones with the OHC Triad engines. I haven't seen any parts breakdowns of Sovereigns made after the 75th Anniversary tractors, so if there are newer Sovereigns without the Triad engines, I don't if they use the rubber coupling or not. I know your "new" Sovereign had the Triad engine, did it's flywheel have some type of rubber isolator built in? The parts breakdown shows just a fiberglass disc being used for the connection between engine and driveshaft.

Carl, you can make a couple spacers out of tubing, longer bolts, and use a standard flexplate. I have made several spacers and never had a problem with any of them.

Roy, I believe Al Eden said the reason for the rubber coupling was to dampen vibration/harmonics from the 2 cylinder engines that would cause damage over the long term to the BGB. Thanks for all the input. I am doing this conversion on my own. I will look in my dead engine pile to see what adapters were on the flywheels. I think I have a ventilated KT that came on a Sovereign that might help.

Hi, The coupling is no longer available. We make a kit to replace it. A number of people that have called Simplicity service have been sent to us when they called to find a substitute. We used to use it in our repower kits. BB (before Briggs), the mgr. of Sim parts called me and told me it was going to be NLA. I bought all that were left to keep building kits. The company that made them had informed Sim that since they were only buying for the replacement (parts) market their volume was too low and not profitable. They ceased production and scrapped the tooling. I had previously tried to buy from this vendor and this coupling was NOT a standard coupling, but a Simplicity dimensioned part. I went searching for a vendor, as did Simplicity. Simplicity found another vendor, but by the time they paid for the tooling at the volume they were purchasing, amortizing the cost over 3 years the new couplings would have to sell for approximately $400.00 each. This is why the part became NLA. This is why I went ahead and had some parts made for my replacement kit. Since Briggs, the Sim, Snapper and Ferris Service Support people have been combined and not all are really knowledgeable across the lines, so you may or may not get forwarded our way. (In the BB era, an order for this part would have probably have had you advised to contact us). This is why all older low volume parts get high priced. When the volume goes down, the vendors raise their price and the mfrs have to raise their prices. Also the cost of carrying low volume inventory, storage, interest insurance, etc. increases. Anyhow this is how I came to do this kit. Also the adapter is a Kohler part, as is the matching screen and hardware. Al Eden