Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Ronald Hribar

Broadmoor swivel

Ronald Hribar
Worked on the Broadmoor today. In checking the swivel, it did not move, a little grease, a little heat and a lot of massaging has it working again. Question is how easy should it move ? I had front end jacked up and it took some effort to make it move.

goatfarmer
The swivel point on that old 66 Broadmoor I had worked like a charm. Driving that tractor was like a carnival ride. Feet going one way, seat going the other...:D

MarksA-C
It should pivot without much resistance. If it sticks too much, its best to take the shaft out of the pivot and clean it up with some fine sand-paper. I did that when I restored my 707 and it worked perfectly.

KSever
quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
Worked on the Broadmoor today. In checking the swivel, it did not move, a little grease, a little heat and a lot of massaging has it working again. Question is how easy should it move ? I had front end jacked up and it took some effort to make it move.
I would recommend pulling it apart and cleaning it as Mark says, I had the same problem with my 717 pivot and cleaned it up about 2 years ago. Since then it swivels without any resistance.

Ronald Hribar
When I drove it it around the yard, I could feel the change in the terrain. I think now that it is loose , I'll pull it apart and clean it up good. Thanks for the replies.

TimJr
If it is a very early 6hp Broadmoor - the 1963/1964 early production, they didn't have a grease fitting for the pivot. There is an old service bulletin describing how to drill the tube and put one in to keep it lubed and free. I have an old black dash tractor that doesn't have a fitting. The only bad thing is that someone actually torched out the front frame to get the tractor apart at one time, then welded it back together. It probably froze up on someone, and it was the only way to get it apart. Unless someone else can verify that the very early frames were built different where the pivot is. Tim