Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116 electrical issue

ddavie

Ok- there is no power getting to the key switch. There is power going from the battery to the "block" (solenoid?) the hot cable bolts to, but not coming out. Can i bypass this for now or is this a common issue? I'd like to see if this thing runs. Thanks

Dennis, What are you trying to power from the switch? I am assuming that you still have the stock Briggs engine. If you do, and it is using the magneto style ignition, you only need power at the switch for your accessories. The switch only serves to ground the points and kill the engine in the off position. DO NOT connect 12v to the points. We need more info about your tractor before we can help. Good luck, Jim

Here is the wiring diagram. If you have power to one side of the solenoid and not the other the problem is more than likely one of the safety switches (interlock switches) being corroded. You can diconnect that small wire at the solenoid and disconnect it from the key switch (I believe it is the S terminal on the wiring diagram) and run a jumper wire from the S tereminal to where the small wire on the solenoid goes. If it turns over it is a problem with one of the safety switches (interlock switches). I have bought several tractors in the past where the previous owner said that it wouldn`t start and 9 times out of 10 it is a problem with one of the interlock switches.

quote:
Originally posted by JimDk
Dennis, What are you trying to power from the switch? I am assuming that you still have the stock Briggs engine. If you do, and it is using the magneto style ignition, you only need power at the switch for your accessories. The switch only serves to ground the points and kill the engine in the off position. DO NOT connect 12v to the points. We need more info about your tractor before we can help. Good luck, Jim
The only info i have is it's a 7116 that doesn't run. I put a new battery in it and it won't roll over. I get power to the soleniod, but i cant trace it from there. So there is not hot wire to the key switch? ok- wehere do i go from here... 1691382 model number? thanks

Thanks Ray. When I jump the "S" terminal on the switch, it turns over. I get power to the first interlock switch but not out of it. Now, is it posible to bypass the the interlock switches for now?
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
[img]/club2/attach/RayS/16hpwithpoints.jpg[/img]
Here is the wiring diagram. If you have power to one side of the solenoid and not the other the problem is more than likely one of the safety switches (interlock switches) being corroded. You can diconnect that small wire at the solenoid and disconnect it from the key switch (I believe it is the S terminal on the wiring diagram) and run a jumper wire from the S tereminal to where the small wire on the solenoid goes. If it turns over it is a problem with one of the safety switches (interlock switches). I have bought several tractors in the past where the previous owner said that it wouldn`t start and 9 times out of 10 it is a problem with one of the interlock switches.

Dennis, Hope I did not confuse you. My stupidity. You do need power to the solenoid. To activate the solenoid there should be power to the small center post when the key is turned to the start pos. You can check the solenoid and starter by jumping from the + terminal of the battery to the center post of the solenoid. Make sure all fingers , toes and clothing is clear before trying this. Note in the wireing diagram above, that there are safety ( interlock ) switches in the start circuit. You may have a bad connection at one of those. A multimeter is a valuable tool to use for checking this. Jim

Yes, I do what I described above. Only problem or at least it maybe to others is I leave it wired as above. I don`t hook them back up. I am not saying that you or anyone else should do the same. That is just what I do. The wire that goes into that plastic black 5 prong holder that plugs into the ignition switch will come out of that holder.

Ok the first interlock switch disintigrated in my hand. I bypassed it and it fired right up, now, it wont shut off unless i pull the wire from the spark plug. Runs good though... What should i look for? Is there a ground issue? Thanks guys, we're close now!

What is the MFG. number of the tractor? The diagram that I posted earlier today is for a 7116 with points. The one that I have in this post is for without points and has a Magnetron ignition. You may need to take the wire that is on the M terminal which is the kill wire and check for corrosion on each end and do a continuity test to see if the wire is ok. If you need other test procedures for key switch, ammeter, ect. , let me know I have the large frame repair manual and can post the procedures on how to go about checking them as well.

Dennis, Your Sunstrand is probably unlocked so it can be pushed by hand. Do a search for the manual for that tractor and it will show you how to get it moving.

I had to pull the valves out to get the pins to pop up and still nothing. i'll start a new thread about this one. thanks!