Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Neilo

Starter/Gen wont start when hot

Neilo
Finally got to mow a decent amount of lawn with the Landlord today, having only had dry grass until now due to our hot Jan/Feb down here. Tractor started fine first go and went well, but after I switched it off, the starter would not turn it over again (only made the click like when a battery is low). When running, the charge was showing 10 amp. 10hp briggs by the way. After it cooled down (the starter gen had only been warm to touch)it started fine again. Any ideas as I want to be able to start and stop and start when I want to? Thanks Neilo

JimDk
Neil, If you are seeing 10 amps all the time with a fully charged battery, you may be overworking your generator. The regulator should cut the amperage back to about 2 amps after the battery is fully charged. You did state that your gen. was not hot. That is a good sign that it is not overcharging, but something to think about. Good luck, Jim

Roy
My B-1 did the same thing a few years ago. Turned out to be a poor ground connection between the chassis and battery negative cable. Suggest checking to make sure all the wiring connections are clean and secure. Also make sure the engine is grounded to the chassis. Think I may have even ran a separate ground wire from the S/G to the chassis.

HubbardRA
I had a similar problem and it was a marginal battery. I was ready to do a replacement on the starter-generator and voltage regulator, but the battery cured the problem. My tractor engine did not have the compression release bump on the camshaft, so it was much harder to turn over when the engine was warm and all the clearances were tight. If you are wondering, I filed the compression release off the cam when I was using that engine for tractor pulling. They don't usually wear off. Also, I use the 51R battery in my tractors. The common garden tractor batteries do not have enough cold cranking amps for these engines when they are warm.

dentwizz
I second that. I just replaced my batt with a 390cca tractor battery. I wanted to take advantage of the space, so it is the largest that will fit the slot. Now the lights are brighter and it really kicks over good. Cost was about 4 times as much thoughsm00.