Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gravely project

richp

The owner of the company I work for has this old Gravely 816 that he wants me to fix. It's been sitting for years and I see there is a clutch on both sides of the transmission and one is missing parts. Does anyone here have any Gravely experience? If so, what are those clutches used for? Thanks for any help.

The clutch packs are for forward/reverse shuttle clutch packs. The shifter works one clutch for forward and one for reverse. I think I have a whole rear end lying around in my pile.

It looks to be in good shape. As long as there are no major transmission problems it should be a worth while project. Gravely transmissions can get complicated and expensive to repair. These are really good tractors and worth fixing.

I've seen a couple of these used for pulling, with all of the weight way back there I was surprised that they weren't pulling wheelies. Of course the weights hanging off the front kinda stopped that!

My neighbor gave me one several years ago. I gave it to a friend, he still uses it. I looked at one today, they are heavy duty. I fooled with the clutch plates, they need to be adjusted with a feeler gauge. jh

Adjusting the clutchs is simple. Tension the clutch pack so that the control lever locks into forward or reverse when pulled or pushed fully into gear. It should lock in without being to hard to lock or to pull out. If it's not tight enough it will slip and be easy to lock in. Just remember to adjust the clutch ack bolts on each side evenly. I normally adjust them in 1/4" turns at a time.