Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Guy, Simplicity 700?

ercaduceus

Hello. I'm new to the club. I'm new tractors as well for the most part. Used 'em but not much more than that. I was looking to get into a new hobby. Usually I spend my time tinkering with cars and trucks but I wanted to do something new. That and my wife would have killed me if I drug home another truck. My brother and I were out driving and came upon a yard sale. My brother saw an old cub (collects IH midsized and garden tractors) so we stopped. Long story short my brother got the cub and I got this (below) for free. Runs, drives (leaking axle seal), and blades turn. However, we're not sure of what it is. No tags or badges on it. My brother thinks it is a Simplicity 700 but he's not sure. Its been repainted in the past and shows yellow and orange paint under red. Is he right? Anyway to tell for sure year and model or original engine? Thanks and sorry for long post.

Welcome to the club. You'll find a wealth of information here and great people. Looks like a 700, a few more photos would nail it down.

Wow, that was super quick for responses! Thanks. My bother always says tractor guys are good people. Well, maybe not the "greenies" as he calls JD owners. LOL. His best friend and him are always fighting about whether IH or JD is better. Would there be anything specific I should get a picture of? We are going to go over it soon to find out all it needs. So far belts, axle seals, tune up, battery, and hood is beat up a bit.

I have a 61 Wards Squire which is a Simplicity 700 made for Montgomery Ward. I bought it over 20 years ago and it is still one of my favorites. Mine is not original, because I used it for many years as a tractor puller.

Should have a model 19 briggs, serial# on it should give you a rough idea of vintage if original engine. It looks to have the short steering colum but that could mean a 700 or early production 725. If the shifter is straight that would be another clue if a 700, bent shifter is a 725. The seat does not appear to be an original in either case, none the less a nice find and the price was certainly right.

Michael, you signed up for the Premier website... the folks here are outstanding and will help you get your new baby up and running. It looks like you got a great deal, and it's in pretty good shape. These things are built like tanks and it's up to us to keep them running for another 30-40 years. Welcome to the hobby and this website!

I didn't know Montgomery Ward sold tractors. Sounds rare. I would like to restore my "new" tractor. Seems solid. Hood and grill are a bit beat. But other wise looks straight. I'm glad I found this site. I didn't think it would be this easy to find info. I'll look at the motor and see what the shifter looks like. I don't think I could have gotten a much better deal since it was free :D I'm very excited about this!!

quote:
Originally posted by ercaduceus
My bother always says tractor guys are good people. Well, maybe not the "greenies" as he calls JD owners. LOL. His best friend and him are always fighting about whether IH or JD is better.
All ready sucking up. :D:D:D And welcome to the club Mike!

quote:
Originally posted by ReedS
Should have a model 19 briggs, serial# on it should give you a rough idea of vintage if original engine. It looks to have the short steering colum but that could mean a 700 or early production 725. If the shifter is straight that would be another clue if a 700, bent shifter is a 725. The seat does not appear to be an original in either.
Didn't see any numbers on the engine but it needs cleaned up before I can take a better look. The shifter is straight. I guess that narrows it down to a 1959-1962 700 from what I've read so far. I like the old school pan seat. They only came with the white upholstered seats? Thanks again for all the welcomes:D

Welcome to the greasy hands gang.:D If you get rid of a couple trucks you'll have room for about six or eight more tractors.sm01sm01

Welcome to the club. IMO you got the best deal between you and your bro., tractor wise, not including price. Engine id tag should be on the front of the engine behind the grill if it's a model 19, hard to read.

Glad to see you on board. You will only get to like this site more as you use it. I haven't been here long but boy the help that I've gotten is fantastic. larry

quote:
My bother always says tractor guys are good people. Well, maybe not the "greenies" as he calls JD owners. LOL. His best friend and him are always fighting about whether IH or JD is better
Welcome to the club, best ten bucks on the web. We do expect you to get into this (friendly) fight on the side of Simplicity now, as we all know which is the best;). Wont be long and you will get yourself another, then another, then another.... Greg

The big fight over which is better JD or IH could be settled in an instant if they got on an Oliver.:DThey would know for sure then who built 'The finest in farm machinery"8D

Welcome aboard, Michael. You say your wife would kill you if you brought another truck home? Mine thinks the same thing about lawnmowers or lawnmower engines! I do not have a lot of Simplicitys or ACs, but I do have a nice collection of junk in the back yard, and some of it can even be used. You shouldn't have a lot of trouble playing with or restoring your new tractor, especially if you do your own work on the trucks. A lot of the problems are the same, only different!

I am shocked by the number of responses this thread has received. I'm a member of a few other forums related to trucks and I do not recall getting faster help or a better welcome. Thanks so much!! When I get a chance, I will take the grill off to look for the engine serial number. Where would I go to decypher the number? I am no mechanic, but I've built a few SBCs and even a TH700R4. However, this is all new to me. I don't think the wrenching will be a problem but the other stuff will take a while. I take it tractors have have their own "Ford vs Chevy" thing going. I don't know enough to have an opinion, but I do really like this old Simplicity!!!

Hey Mike!! Yes, you will LOVE this site and the guys here more and more as you start down the Simplicity road. I only have four so far, but once you have been bitten by this bug, there is no cure, only a treatment....(Take one tractor a month and call me in a year or so)!!. And as you may have heard, there is only one farm tractor worth owning, and that is an Allis Chalmers, and as for garden tractors, Allis, Simplicity, Wards, and a couple of others that all came out of the same place are the toughest built ones you will find! Of course, this is only my opinion, but I am always right unless I am wrong. Welcome to the club!!!! Steve

I second that, with one addition. A full size goodie is definitely the previously mentioned Oliver. I have never seen as smooth of an engine. I guess our Ford-Chevy debate(btw I have a Chevy^) would be Kohler/Briggs?:p