Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brent_Baumer

MT* Tractor Engines both Briggs & Kohler

Brent_Baumer
Just curious as I look through the big box stores and Se*rs and others advertisements, I see they sell their MT* "tractors" with what appear to be the same Briggs and Kohler engines as you would have on a new Sim., AGCO, WheelH*rse, etc. Are they in fact the same 16, 18, 22HP etc enginges as on those tractors? If so, how do they sell new complete "tractors" for $999-$2000 when I see posts on here for new engines and engine conversion kits for over $1000 just for the engines??? I've never owned anything with an engine newer than 1987, and mostly much much older, so I'm not very familiar with the newer aluminum,iron sleeved stuff they have today. What's the diff. here. Brent

B_WALLY_
I've wondered the same thing myself. I guess those manufacturers buy in such volume that the engines cost them far less than retail. If those 22hp engines were horizontal shaft and would fit a Simplicity it would make financial sense to buy a new left over for $1000, pull the engine, and put it in our 20-40 year old tractors. But how would you explain that logic to a sane person?

carter
Dutch is correct. If you call Briggs and tell them you want 25,000 of the same engine you'd be amazed at the price. They basically build one quality of engine in each line. There may be trim or control differences to fit individual designs. I have bought complete mowers and junked the sheet metal because the engine was cheaper than buying from Northern or Padgett. Ron

MikeES
Everything I see in the "dept. stores" are ALL vertical shaft engines. I suppose because of volume, these engines (over 16hp) are much cheaper than the horizontal shaft engines. Under 10hp the engines (vertical and horizontal) are similarly priced. Mike S.

MikeES
I'm pretty sure some vertical shaft engines can be converted to horizontal, but I'm don't know which ones. Does anybody know which and how?