Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116 runs, but doesn't move

ddavie

Hi again guys. I am puzzled now. Got the 7116 running, but it doesn't go anywhere. The free-wheel latch was down and i had to pull the valves out to get the pins to pop up. They are up, 1/4-3/8 inch i'd guess but still nothing. I can't tell where to check the fluid on this thing either... Any ideas on this? What else should i check? As always, thanks for the good responses you all give.

Hope you cleaned around The valves real good before you removed them. Hydrostatic drives don't like dirt. The fluid should be to the top of the fill tube at the back by the bottom of the hitch. You can use ATF dexron to fill it. Would be a good idea to change filter and fluid. Use an oem Simplicity filter or a good Wix, Napa or Baldwin filter. Do not use a cheap one size mis-fits all filter like FRAM.

Also, check the torque tube that goes from the tranny to the diff behind the right wheel. If it turns when you put the tranny in forward or reverse, then the disengagement is in the diff.

Check the drive belt idler pulley to make sure that it is applying the proper tension to the drive belt. It does have a drive belt, right? On hydro's the clutch doesn't get used much and the idler pulley pivot can corrode. When you apply the clutch the idler moves away from the belt, but the corrosion can prevent it from returning and applying the proper belt tension.

Yes, it has a drive belt. The trans seems to be spinnig fine, but i'll check it out tonight - along with the torque tube.

Update... I added well over a quart of trans fluid to it and it moves around like a champ. No noticeable leaks this morning. I wonder why it was empty? This sat for 5 years and the owner passed away 4 years ago. So there's really no way to get info on it. It may have been rebuilt and not filled, who knows... But it running and moving now. Next problem and new thread coming... thanks for the help guys!

Dennis, That is good news. Those Sunstrand transmissions are tough. Are you aware that these old Simplicity tractors are habit forming? Very few members here have only one. They seem to follow us home from time to time.sm01 Enjoy your tractor. Jim

Jim- This is my 3rd one in a year. I started with the 3212H, added the 4040 in October and now have the 7116. My wife hasn't complained yet... it's keeping me busy. She is nervous though- i have plenty of room for more :D
quote:
Originally posted by JimDk
Dennis, That is good news. Those Sunstrand transmissions are tough. Are you aware that these old Simplicity tractors are habit forming? Very few members here have only one. They seem to follow us home from time to time.sm01 Enjoy your tractor. Jim

Almost every garden trator I buy is either low on engine oil and/or hydro fluid checking fluid levels is the first thing I do when I get one.