Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

L 112 Loader on a 7100 series (This Bud's for you)

Simpleton7016

Got some tractor time yesterday and started piecing together the loader that I got from Ron Rhibar. I am uncertain if this belongs here or in "show and tell" but since I will likely have scores of questions, I will post here. Here is his original post: [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=77816[/url] First problem is that I seem to have lost the hydraulic ram for the bucket. Anyone know a good place to get rams for fairly cheap? I found the thedaddycats postings on beefing up the frame (thanks Roy) and among other things here are the things I need to do before permanently mounting the loader on: 1. I need to reinforce the BGB area 2. I need to install thrust washers on the front spindles 3. I need to toy with RichP's foot controlled Hydro set-up for a while and see if I can't make it go. 4. I need to find a ram that will fit in the holes for the front bucket. Questions: 1. How do I take the appropriate measurement for the front ram? Is it the shortest distance from center hole to center hole? In this case, when I lift the front bucket as close to the frame as possible, the distance is about 14". Do I ask around for a 14" ram then? 2. Can anyone give me a reason why I would need the hydrolift set-up if I intend to make this a full time loader machine? 3. Ron stopped by yesterday and suggested that I am going to need wheel spacers, but it appears that I do have the necessary clearance. Is it a good precautionary measure? 4. Is there anything else I should do to the tractor itself to make my life easier before I affix the loader? Thanks in advance, here are the pictures:
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Loader1.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/loader2.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/loader3.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/loader4.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/loader5.jpg[/img]

You want to measure the cylinder from the closed point to the extended point to be sure you get one that is long enough and short enough. Just make sure the bucket will roll back some.

Any chance you could take some additional pictures showing the bracing that runs from the back of the trans to the underside of the running boards. I assume this is the reinforcement for the loader to prevent the BGB from cracking. Thanks,

A man much wiser than I (that doesn't rule out too many of you in case you were wondering) gave me a good idea. Rather than calculate all of the dimensions, how about I just ask someone what ram they have on theirs. Duh...sorry, I really believe that watching Elmo and Curious George dulls the brain. :) Sooo, this was/is originally and L112 loader. Can someone give me the specs on the ram for the trip bucket? If anyone has one, that would be great too! Steven, I will be pulling everything off the tractor this weekend....I will mock the loader up take some detailed shots with the tractor out of the way...cool?

About so by so:D Nice looking setup Erik. I am out of town Thursday thru Sat of this week and well, just got a permanant layoff with a lovely parting gift so if you want to tinker with the loader let me know, I have some free timesm00

Simpleton - check out my thread there are som good links and great info. I am most likley going to purchase parts to build my loader from www.surpluscenter.com chekc them out they ahve a huge selection of pumps and cylinders. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=103344 More pictures please :)

Here you go Steven. Pictures and a pretty long video. Let me know if you need any measurements. Keep in mind that I am waiting only for my machinist (whom I adore) to finish up your front brace. Then the two side brackets will mount into your creation and away we will go. I would love to make some extra BGB reinforcements like thedaddycat, but I am afraid that is a little more work than I has thought. Instead, I will rely on the engineering of Ron Rhibar. He was the one that created this rig...and he is the one I can blame if/when the BGB suffers catastophic failure (I took that page from my wife's playbook - always leave the door open to blame someone else:D) In all seriousness though, I am open to ideas and suggestions. I look at this unit and think "cool, a loader". But there is zero, zip, zilch engineer in me. Some of you will be able to look at this set up and find flaws, I can not. If you do, I encourage you to share them now - I sure won't be hurt (Ron might though:p). I would rather cover all my bases now then be up a creek later. VIDEO: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tr_t-XNSfo[/url]
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/41909Loader1.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/41909Loader2.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/41909Loader3.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/41909Loader4.jpg[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
Picked up rubber for the loader rig and got it all installed tonight. I picked the rear tires up on craigslist and Bob taught me how to mount them. I only got my finger smashed once. Kind of like forgetting anniversaries....you only do it once. Unfortunately, one of the rears has a leak somewhere...'tis one of the downsides of craigslist....I might be stuck with it. Fronts: I picked up some 4 ply tri-ribs and installed them on Zippo's thrust bearing set up. I am still waiting for my machinist to finish up my "StevenP" front brace....but it is coming soon....then installation of the loader itself can begin.
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/triribsresized.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Triribs2resized.jpg[/img]

• 1 month later...
silly question but...what size ga. box tubing is on the arms,what are the dimensions of the tubing? I dont know how light or heavy they need to be?

Thanks Perry. Gosh Mark, I sure don't know the gage is, but the dimensions of the original is 2"x3" and the extensions are 2 3/4 x 3 3/4". I just got to this project again yesterday and have it all hard mounted. I decided that it was too much work to mount and dismount the 36" tiller with extensions, so I had to enlist this tractor into duty as the grader blade tractor b/c I needed to move 20 yards of garden soil mix. It worked great and I did have the StevenJ front end brace made and installed. In fact, if someone wants one, my machinist said he would mass produce them. His brace (I believe) is/will be a critical upgrade for the way this loader is set up. Again, all the ingenious engineering was done Ron Hribar....all I did was tie these things together. I do have questions now as to what model it is. I was certain that it was originally an L112, but now I am not sure. I can't really tell the difference between any of them. Heck, it took me 6 months here to tell the differences between 7000 series and 7100 series! :) Anyway, I have it hard-mounted and ready for plumbing. Most importantly, Bob has been put on notice that his expertise will be required. Here are the most recent pics: new tires all the way around with tubes. Front spindles equipped with thrust washers and they DO make a big difference (Thanks Zippo). Custom 80 pound weights on each rear tire.
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/062009Loader.jpg[/img]
StevenJ's front end support with Ron's brace's tied in:
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/062009Loader2.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/062009Loader3.jpg[/img]
Front profile:
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/062009Loader4.jpg[/img]
Midmount bracing / BGB stress bypass:
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/062009Loader5.jpg[/img]
Rear mount and more BGB stress bypass. Ron is either the smartest guy in the world or the luckiest. After last winters snowfall and the subsequent collapse of his tractor shed, I will opt for the former. I say this because the clearances are so tight that it is remarkable. There is literally only an eight of an inch celarance on both sides for the 1" steel support beams that tie the front and back together. On my 7117 snow machine (also Ron's originally) he stuffed a 20 horse magnum in there and the steel cab literally fit on with less than a quarter inch of clearance on both sides. Absolutely remarkable work Ron!
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/062009Loader6.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/062009Loader7.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/062009Loader8.jpg[/img]
And finally, and overhead profile:
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/062009Loader9.jpg[/img]

Actually, they are 80#'s and I believe they are iron - coated with extend and significant amounts of my own flesh. :( Seriously, I will be glad to have those weights dedicated to one single tractor because putting them on and off sucks big time!

• 3 weeks later...
Well, work has really been getting in the way of my SimpleTractor time. I did take a vacation day a couple of weeks ago and BLT and I farted around with this project. Ran into a couple of wrinkles, but I think we got the big ones ironed out. Mainly, we could not see a way to make the existing ports work as they were directly below the loader arms with not enough clearance for the hydraulic fittings. I had to have my machinist rotate the ports 90 degrees. So I think we are good there. Also, the pump was not going to be spun in the correct direction off of the cone clutch. Bob made quick work of that little problem and got 'er turned around in about 7 minutes flat. Now I/we just have to work in another vacation day to try to get to the plumbing part. P.S. Thanks a million Bob! I will have some limited time to play this weekend and have a couple of questions: 1. Is there a place on this website where I can find a Simplicity or Allis Chalmers logo that I can blow up to fit an 8-10" circle? I decided that the rear rims and wheel weights look like Hades, so I will clean them up and paint them. I thought I would paint a logo on the wheel weights. Plus, I always wanted to try the vaseline trick that I read somewhere in the archives years ago. That is: instead of masking off the tires with tape, just coat the tires with vaseline to ensure no overspray. 2. All of these 7000 and 7100 series tractors have the front cowel somehow fastened to the rest of the hood. I remember reading that the Allis-built Homelites used the same front cowel as the 7000/700 series, but just turned it upside down. Has anyone ever removed this piece from the rest of the hood? If so, how? I know that the hoods on the 7000 and 7100 are incompatible, but are the cowels the same by any chance? I have made no secret of my distaste for the 'look' of my 7100 series tractors.....but if I could put the front cowel from a 7000 series hood (and bucket lights) on a 7100 series, I might speak a little kinder of these pigs.^ I will co home and compare for myself tomorrow (and will report back) but in the meantime, I am curious how they are attached and if there is an easy way to seperate them.

• 3 weeks later...
I checked the front "nose cone" piece and they are different. Probably better that way so I don't have to bust my hump trying to remove one of them. I have been inching closer to an operational loader. Gosh there is a lot of farting around. The only thing I have left really is to get the suction piping installed and all the rest of the hoses tightened down and tied down. Then add fluid and go. Yeah right, I wish it were that easy. I sure hope there are no major bugs, but with Bob as my mentor, everything is looking positive. Here are some more recent pics. I painted the rims and the 80 pound wheel weights, but I hate to scuff up the paint putting those heavy suckers in place. I think I am going to wait until it is operational and see if the weights are necessary.
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/731loader1.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/731loader2.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/731loader3.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/731loader4.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/731loader5.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/731loader6.jpg[/img]

http://simplythebest.net/sounds/WAV/sound_effects_WAV/sound_effect_WAV_files/boing_1.wav The orange wheels are a nice touch along with the diesel orange hood. Looks like you had the Thunderbirds do a fly over for the one picture. :D Tom

Anyone care to take a guess as to what caused the stain on my eve that I am pointing to in the picture below?
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/housestain.jpg[/img]