Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

712H Starter & Hydro Problem

jdhorton00

I need some help. The starter on my 712H is suddenly doing nothing. When I turn the key I'm only getting a click....nothing rolls over. I put my hand on the starter and turned the key and can feel that it has power going to it. I see two bolts beneath the starter that I can remove this weekend. Can anyone tell me what they think may be wrong and what I can look for? I also have a few questions on the Hydro. It makes quite a bit of noise when its running. It makes sort of a loud "pinging" sound and I notice that its coming from the rod between the right side pulley and the clutch plate on the left side. I'm not sure what this rod is called, but it spins with the engine and is right under the seat. It is basically what allows the engine to move the tractor. Is there some sort of bearing in there that is worn and needs to be replaced? The tractor also slows down some when I'm turning or going uphill a little, like it might be binding up a little. Neutral does not seem to work either because when I had to push it back into the garage the wheels would not move. It's done this since I bought it a few years ago though, and would only roll freely sometimes when in neutral. Any ideas as to what I have going on here? I've never checked the hydro fluid, but the mechanic I took it too last year said it was fine. I'm not sure how to check the hydro fluid. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

If I were getting nothing but a click, I would suspect the battery. If you can get a car near it, then hook up battery cables to the tractor battery, and see if the starter turns. If it turns the engine, then it is not the starter. It sounds like your Bevel Gear Box is going bad. There are bearings on the shaft and gears tha link the input and output shafts together. You can remove the plate on the rear of the unit to check the condition of the internal parts. Check for side-to-side motion in the shaft to see if the bearings are bad. You will probably find out that there is very little grease inside the unit when you remove the plate. Probably the cause of the problem.

Josh is correct about the free wheel latch. My 716H does not have one on it(removed years ago but never replaced), but will sometimes leak off enough of the hydraulic fluid to let it be pushed. This is not consistent every time. Probably what you are seeing.

Check the starter drive to see if it retracted or if it is still engaged on the flywheel. Mine use to stick engaged sometimes and then I only got a click. I would then manually push it back and would function again. I found this to be a somewhat common ailment with these starters. I took my starter off and cleaned the shaft and have not had a problem since.

My 716H is a bear to push even with the free-wheel latch down. I don't know how easy "free-wheeling is supposed to be, but its a heavy machine to push. I know I'm gettin' older, but it ain't like pushin' my "HT" series Honda thats fir' sure! Sheesh! Steve

quote:
Originally posted by SteveinNJ
My 716H is a bear to push even with the free-wheel latch down. I don't know how easy "free-wheeling is supposed to be, but its a heavy machine to push. Steve
Yeah my 912H is like that. but now i got a vickers hyro in it so its so much easyer to move now.:D

quote:
Originally posted by jdhorton00
I need some help. The starter on my 712H is suddenly doing nothing. When I turn the key I'm only getting a click....nothing rolls over. I put my hand on the starter and turned the key and can feel that it has power going to it. I see two bolts beneath the starter that I can remove this weekend. Can anyone tell me what they think may be wrong and what I can look for? I also have a few questions on the Hydro. It makes quite a bit of noise when its running. It makes sort of a loud "pinging" sound and I notice that its coming from the rod between the right side pulley and the clutch plate on the left side. I'm not sure what this rod is called, but it spins with the engine and is right under the seat. It is basically what allows the engine to move the tractor. Is there some sort of bearing in there that is worn and needs to be replaced? The tractor also slows down some when I'm turning or going uphill a little, like it might be binding up a little. Neutral does not seem to work either because when I had to push it back into the garage the wheels would not move. It's done this since I bought it a few years ago though, and would only roll freely sometimes when in neutral. Any ideas as to what I have going on here? I've never checked the hydro fluid, but the mechanic I took it too last year said it was fine. I'm not sure how to check the hydro fluid. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
Thats exactly how my 912H is minus the starter problem but everything else is true bout mine too!