Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
AC_B-1Novice

Chance to buy, is it worth it? See pics

AC_B-1Novice
Garden tractor runs well Asking $250 or offer. 36 inch triple blade cut. Deck is solid. Electric or rope start. Broadmore 728 model 191701.type 0121-01.code 7002091 Smokes a little on start up. Don't know enough to know if this is good, bad, or indifferent.

Vinnie_A
Only my opinion but most of the engines on these either leak oil, do not run ,need work or have already had the engine replaced.I have owned 4 or 5 and would never own another.

SimpleTom
I have had at least 15 Broadmoors from 6hp to the 3008. All have been great little tractors. With good upkeep they will last a lifetime. I currently have a 717 with a 32 inch deck which I use to mow my lawn and rototill my garden. The price on that one you are looking at is on the high end but still worth it. Just my 2 cents worth. Tom

Chris727
I have had numerous broadmoors as well. The engines are very common, easy to get parts for. If its a repower it may even have a cast iron sleeve. These are the same engines used on a lot of the older snapper riders. Very good tractors so long as you aren't trying to cut more than an acre with them, just too small. The pivoting frame is nice too, as long as its working. I think the price is good so long as it runs as well as described and the deck and everything works. In my area a "turn-key" rider is going for about $300 minimum regardless of make or model.

bud119195
I would go for it .Looks like a nice tractor Price is a little high but if its worth it to you get it. My broadmoors are great machines and we mow all the time with it with no trouble.

firefoxz1
I have 2 738's and love them for cutting the grass. I would rate this one up there for still having the S/G set-up and looking pretty clean. I would not, and I don't think Simplicity did either, call a Broadmoor a Garden Tractor. It would be a Lawn Tractor.

TomSchmit
The cosmetic condition of the tractor appears very good and origina ... often an indication that the unit was well cared-for and used gently. The price is pretty good if you actually - need a worker lawn tractor for a <1 acre yard; and - you want the smaller tractor rather than the full size Simplicity with the horizontal engine and bevel gear box. I love my 5 Broadmoors .. have used only Broadmoors for 40+ years since my dad bought the first one in '67. (although I did just purchase my first Landlord just last weekend!) Tom

AC_B-1Novice
Thanks for the help, this really is something I was looking into for my brother who just had his mower stolen. I'll pass this on and let him decide (if he can still get it). larry

AC_B-1Novice
I do too, he is 77 and sort of set in his ways. I didn't even ask him when I got that offer I just told the guy I would take it. If he doesn't want it I'll use it for a trim mower.

jdwilson
Looks exactly like mine. My dad also bought it new. It is just the perfect size for my current home, with a half acre lot. Wouldn't ever think of trading it off. But will be handing it down to one of my sons,30 to 40 years, when they pry my cold, dead fingers from the steering wheel!

PatrickE
That one looks pretty clean, good deal. I have one that smokes alittle on start-up, been that way for 15 years. I have a 738 and 728, just backup lawnmowers but fulltime snowblowers, tillers, blades, and trailer pullers. I think everyone should have one.

AC_B-1Novice
I just picked it up this morning. 190 mi round trip. I got the original owners manual and paper work from 1971. It starts right up and there is black smoke for about the first 3-5 seconds and clears up. I'm anxious to look under it. He said it has three blades but I'll have to look for they must be small blades. It looks really good though. It is too small for me so I'll probably sell it or part it out.

ToddM
I paid $80 for my newest Broadmoor, it had a new 8hp Briggs and the hi lo option but it was missing the battery and I found out why. The previous owner had installed a different gas tank and even a small lawn tractor battery seemed like it wouldn't fit, I did get one to fit and now it starts, mows and runs great. It has a 36" deck and the hi lo trans. which works good. He sold it as kind of incomplete as it would not pivot at all in the middle and the hi lo tabs were worn so I had to make new ones. I would recommend this little tractor to anyone. Thanks Todd

AC_B-1Novice
Wow, that is really red. Is that the original color. Mine is sort of orange red as you can see and has stripes on the hood. Not as good looking and I paid a lot more for it.

AC_B-1Novice
I had no idea when I bought this that there were so many attachments for it. The manual shows front, rear and middle attachments. I don't have any but it is nice to know.

TimJr
firefoxz1 - interesting point about garden tractor or not. Seeing how a tiller was available, doesn't that by default make it a Garden Tractor? I realize the tractor isn't as big as a 7000/7100 series, but in proportion to its own size, the trans and frame are just as well built as the bigger machines. Any tractor that has no factory option of a tiller (or other ground engaging attachment) that is PTO driven, should only be considered a Lawn Tractor for sure - regardless of size. What do other guys think? Tim

AC_B-1Novice
TimJR I too thought it was interesting. Since I have the manual I wonder if anyone needs a copy. I could scan it and make it available if so. It shows the way to hook up the attachments. larry

AC_B-1Novice
firefoxz1 I see no plow listed in the manual for the tractor. The front just says Broadmoor 728 Tractor Mfg# 577 that is all. But it does do much more than I thought it would. That might help it sell. larry