Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
cojo92

Front Axle Bolt

ReedS
Mike, a grade 5 or 8 will be stronger but since they are harder they are more likely to snap. Sometimes harder is not always better. I think that you'll be ok in this application since I don't think your gonna want to hit anything so hard that it will snap that bolt! A grade 2 bolt will bend and stretch long before it snaps, just food for thought.

Simpleton7016
I am going to be installing Stevenj's front end support and will be replacing this bolt as well. I will have a loader on her....am I definitely better off with the grade 2?

cojo92
yeah erik, after what reed just knocked into my head grade to probly be better with a loader am i not correct?? or maybe a 5 grade. Reed, Thhanks for the food! :D guys i ended up getting this bolt:

New ones on right old is on left

New one has old bushing on it and is tight with minimal play.

Should i file the grade marks odd to make head smooth like original? i was thinking about doing that. ----------------------------------------- Its a grade 8 but i couldnt find a grade 5 in that size and lenght in stock or even on the shelves. Thanks for all the input guys i really apreciate it! ^ Mike

MikeES
I would use a grade 2 so the sacrificial part is the easy to replace bolt and not the bushing or other parts. Use a grade 5 or 8 and the other parts become the wear parts.