Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4212h electric problems

Bear

Changed motors. Put in another 12hp pluged in wires same way no start.Has spark key on or off by jumping to starter.Took ground wire off battery.touchted ground to battery key in start mode arces.Checked wires cant find problem.Whats wrong.I did try new key switch,breaker switch.

What has spark the plug wire? or does it spark when you connect the jumper to the starter? Is it not turning over (crank) or just not starting? Does this engine have the soleniod on the bottom of the carb.?

It has spark at plug key on or off by jumping starter.It dose not crank with key.With key in start get arc at battery when I touch ground to battery. key in off no arc at cable.It will run by jumping starter cant shut off key on or off.

if it starts when you jump the starter, but won't start with the key, you have two possibilities: a) one of the safety switches. You don't want to know how many times my tractor won't start because some idiot didn't move the hydrostat lever into neutral. b) wiring fault. This sounds like the most likely from your description but it can be tough to sort out. "key in start get arc at battery when I touch ground to battery" is intriguing. This sounds like it is trying to start but not quite getting there. Check that your engine has a solid ground, that the battery negative and the engine block are solidly connected.