Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

This spacer works....

rsnik

I frequently buy Joe Hemmi's "miscellaneous parts" lot which consists of the cap screws, bolts, springs etc from the tear down. I soak them for 3 days in a kitchen cleaner product called CLR and then rinse them in very hot water so they will dry before rust bloom and then put them in gallon freezer bags with a good squirt of PB Power Blaster to preserve them. Here is a typical bag full:

I mounted the rear seat pan of a 7116 on my 7016H and needed a spacer since the 7116 tin reaches and inch or more further forward than the 7000 series seat pan. A common spacer, that I do not know the use of only that it shows up frequently in the "bag of bolts" turns out to be the perfect length spacer to bolt up the original latch bar and have it work perfectly. This is a pic of the original latch mechanism working perfectly with the spacer:

This is couple views of the latch bar with the spacers moving it back to where it can latch properly:

I was able to find some seat hinges, springs and an original A/C seat in good condition for a 7116 seat pan. I am very happy with the whole thing. It does not look funny at all, it works perfect and it looks better.

Great idea and one I may copy.....how did you affix the spacers so they stay in place? Nice work on the hardware too!

There's just a flange headed cap screw (which is painted) on the outside of the tin and a nut with lockwasher on the end of the bolt on the underside of the tin where it's fastening the latch bar to the spacer on the underside of the tin. Just a bolt running through the spacer holding the latch bar off at the proper distance to latch properly. Nothing fancy. It was just a nice bit of luck that the spacers and fasteners out of one the "bag of bolts" got the job done right away. Especially considering how extremely unlikely it is that the spacer would be exactly the right length.